Ethics

When it comes to Ethics situations, when do you files a case to the national council and when you don’t? What is rule of thumb? How do you make proper judgement? I read the ethics in AHPP, it only talks about how the board works, and their appealing process, and verdict if they violate the ethics. @coachchrishopstock

Hi @AJPeng - There’s no rule of thumb or standard regarding when ethics violations should be brought to the National Ethics Council. Just like any other wrongdoing that one perceives, one must consider the best course of action on a case-by-case basis and decide whether it’s best to take the issue up with the individual, or consider involving the authorities.

OK… how do you know? would you able to give two scenarios where you would for one case, and you wouldn’t for the other case?
Or better way for you to answer this question… do you know what types of case that typically being processed in the ethics council? give a few examples. then I think will help to understand what cases are sever enough to make it into the council and judged.
@coachchrishopstock

Hey @AJPeng
Here’s a good resource to browse past decisions rendered by the board:

Keep in mind that it’s a judgement call that an individual has to make based on the situation - there’s no threshold where the board will hear a case vs. deciding not to hear it.

The above is certainly an interesting read but I wouldn’t spend too much time on it in terms of studying for the ARE - I’d say it’s more important to understand what the ethical guidelines are, and what types of actions step beyond those guidelines.

Good luck in your studies!

thank you chris, but do you know where to find which action step to take beyond those guidelines? How do we find that?
@coachchrishopstock

If I understand your question correctly, I believe you’re asking what steps one has to take to submit a complaint to the board?
If that’s the case, this is the form that gets submitted:

thanks, good to know. I figured out my answer. it was in the legislative guide.