PDD Practice Exam 1 Case Study - New Office Bldg. Occupancy

Would anyone explain how to get sq.ft. and calculate occupancy? I could not able to figure out sq.ft. of office area, 12,930, and utility occupancy total.

1 Like

Hi @smoriny ,

You calculate the occupancy load using table 1004.5 in the 2018 IBC. This table lists occupancy load factors based on what the function of the space is. Note, this table is separate and distinct from the “Occupancy Classification and Uses” you see in Chapter 3, even though they use similar language.

It sounds like you want to use an occupant load factor of 150 gross for your example. Mechanical equipment rooms and accessory storage areas have an occupant load factor of 300 gross if that’s what you mean by ‘utility occupancy’ in your example.

Here’s a handy guide from on how to calculate occupancy:

And here’s a video I found on the subject:

If you have a copy of the 2018 IBC Code Commentary at your work reading through what it has to say about Table 1004.5 is always a good idea too.

Hope this helps!
-Darion

Thank you for explanation regarding the occupancy calculation. I think I have basic understanding of the occupancy load table and calculation except the question uses 100 for business occupant load factor instead of 150. My biggest issue here is how to get gross sq.ft. of the office gross area and utility gross area. The solution uses 12,930 sq.ft. for office gross area, but I can not figured out how to get this number from information provided. Same for utility area gross area. Would you please let me know where or how to get these number from the information? The program says for Typical Office Floor; Office 18,000 sf., Bathroom 1,000 sf., Assembly Room 1,000 sf., M. and Storage 2,000 sf., and Elevator Lobby 700 sf. Regarding the utility occupancy total, description comes up 25 means gross area will be about 7,500 sf. How to come up the utility sq.ft. from the information provided?

@coachchrishopstock can you please take a look at this question from PDD form 1 and see if you can provide additional insight?

Thanks!
-Darion

Hi @smoriny thanks for bringing this to my attention!
The answer explanation used a few wrong numbers due to the associated reference being updated and the answer explanation not being updated. We’ve amended the situation on our end.
Note that the correct answer to this question is still correct - there is no required change to the proposed fixture count.
Thanks @coachdarionziegler for helping out with your explanation as well!

Thank you coaches, glad you have look at it. I am pulling my hairs how to get the gross sq. ft. in the answer explanation. I am thinking to take PDD exam soon, so clearing any items not sure at this moments to prepare for the exam. Get correct answer is important, but understanding the procedure is most important for me now. Thank you again for your time, looking forward the updated explanation.

Thank you for updated answer explanation based on the program. It has cleared the issues. I know the problem uses the program information only, but it might be better the reference plan also reflect the relative scale/size with program figures. If not my misunderstanding, the typical floor overall area is about 18,000 sq. ft. so office area will be minus core area can not be 19,000 sq. ft. as mentioned in problem. Anyway it only use the program figures so will not matter but trying to become architect, sense of scale is important in real world situation. Thank you.

One more confirmation regarding the question. The program indicates the 1,000 sq.ft. assembly room is planned but not included in the solution. Is it because the scenario says core and shell, and interior space is responsibility of the tenant/s? Assuming the additional fixtures required is responsibility of the tenant/s? If the assembly space is included in the calculation, the 0ffice (19,000-1,000 assembly) 18,000 sq.ft., mechanical and storage 1,000 sq.ft., and assembly 1,000 sq.ft. Occupancies for each spaces will be 180, 4, and 67, total 251, therefor 126 female and 126 male. The wc for female 4 and male 4. The lavatory for female 3 and male 3. It means additional wc is required for male toilet. Would you please clarify the reason not including the assembly room listed in the program is not in the fixture count calculation?

Thank you coaches for helping me clarifying many subjects. I have passed first exam in February and finally completed PDD exam last week. About 6 intense months. As English is not my first language, speed for solving questions was a key for my success. I have taken your practice quiz and practice exam repeatedly and review answers descriptions fully understand. Please excuse some of my queries are little bit picky, but very important for me to clarify bits and pieces preparing the exams. Wishing all the candidates will have same success. Thank you again Black Spectacles and all coaches.

1 Like

Hi @smoriny ,

Congratulations on finishing your exams! I’m very happy to hear about your success.

Is there any advice you can give to other candidates who don’t speak English as a first language? I’m a native speaker, so your feedback would be super helpful for myself in learning how to best assist other candidates!

I’ve wondered if perhaps starting a Community thread specifically for questions about language and vocabulary in the ARE would be helpful for both native English speakers and those who speak English as a second language alike.