ARE Live: Structures

Thank you. Very clear explanations!

Hello from NYC!

hello from Oklahoma

Today’s t-shirt winner is @tgates! Congrats Tyler, we’ll reach out to you via email.

Be sure to tune into next month’s episode for more study tips and another chance to win a t-shirt!

1 Like

I was wondering the same thing, I thought a bearing wall with strip foundations might be a better option to avoid sliding with the poor silty sand.

I just asked an architect and they thought the same thing, also said 1000 PSF usually is not good enough for foundations. Still confused:(

the issue with the bearing wall with strip foundations is that the poor soil conditions extend to 20’ below grade, so strip foundations would only make sense if you get to the soil level below that. That would be a pretty deep, two level cellar for this small project, which isn’t typical. The whole point of a raft slab is to use the entire area of the foundation footprint as a bearing element - in this case, the building will bear on a 2000 sf raft, as opposed to a 3’ or so wide strip footing around the perimeter of the structure.
I hope that was helpful!

yes, thank you. I guess also from reading more about mat foundations, it is used for low bearing capacity soils to distribute the weight rather concentrating the weight in one spot.
Thank you for today’s broadcast, very helpful.

1 Like