In D. B. B. don't we know the construction cost after we receive the bids?

In CM-Adviser, doesn’t the adviser come on board early to advise on constructions costs?

And In Fast-Track construction is going on while we are still designing other parts so why is the answer not after permitting?
Thank you

1 Like

Hi @ylouka

Let’s see if one of our expert architects can help with this one. @coachchrishopstock do you mind jumping in?

Hi @ylouka - there’s a subtle nuance to the way this question is worded. It’s asking ‘when are the construction costs determined’ not ‘when is an estimate of the construction costs available’. The phrase ‘determine the construction cost’ implies that we’re discussing the contractual construction cost here, not an estimate. So, everything that you say is correct about when estimates are prepared during different delivery methods, but that’s not what the question is asking.
For further reference, the answer to this question can be found in AHPP (15th edition) figure 9.3.

I hope this was helpful and good luck in your studies!

Thank you very much for the explanation, but wow, this means the test would be focused on the language not just the architecture information? so even if I understand the process and know the information I can still get the wrong answer because of language misinterpretation? Just my personal opinion shouldn’t the test be more focused on architecture knowledge rather than language?
Thank you

Hi @ylouka
There’s definitely an aspect to the ARE that requires careful detail to language usage, and this question is an example of that. Another topic where specific language is extremely important is contracts - for example, the word ‘shall’ may seem very similar to ‘should’ or ‘will endeavor to’ but legally they have very different meanings. The ARE will require understanding of these types of nuances.
Finally, an important aspect of being an architect is clear and coherent communication - so understanding and using terms correctly is extremely important.

understood, thank you again for the explanation.