ARE Live: PA/PPD/PDD Math Using the Whiteboard and Calculator

Thank you for your question! We may not get to this one in the Q&A, but we will be sure to answer in the Community later today.

2 Likes

would you be able to clarify what the difference is between the net and gross sf for the occupancy load?

3 Likes

For question 3 for today, how would you know to use exercise room vs assembly space without fixed seating factor? At my firm we calculate gyms with the assembly w/o fixed seating factor. Is that just and NCARB thing?

3 Likes

For question 4, I believe we multiply by the number of times we are going to install the material, since the costs are material and installation costs. So for example, I would just multiply the 1st one by 2 since we are installing it twice over the span of 25 years and not 1.6 (which is the 25/15 that was answered,)

5 Likes

Great ARE Live!
When/where is this session’s recording being saved?

3 Likes

Thank you for the reply, makes sense.

3 Likes

Great question! This episode will be posted tomorrow on our ARE Live page.

3 Likes

for question 5, why wasn’t the air film layer on interior and exterior added?

3 Likes

I’m terrible with %, so for question 2 when multiplying the yearly 3% inflation, why was the multiplier 1.03 and not .03?

3 Likes

Hello

3 Likes

great thank you for the response!

3 Likes

For question 1 I would have asked maximum building area not allowable

2 Likes

Thank you for answering I am practicing and testing in NY!

3 Likes

wouldnt the inflation rate x two years then be .06%?

3 Likes

you can multiply by .03 and then add it to your total or just multiply by 1.03 to get the the toal

3 Likes

Exactly!

2 Likes

Thank you for the answer. I went back to the PA exam and NCARB asks “what is the maximum square footage” without the word allowable. I’m highlighting this because it’s the biggest difference between FAR and setbacks and every word in the NCARB questions matters, especially in PA.

1 Like

you have to account that the second 3% is on top of the first 3% so you can’t just add

2 Likes

Not sure if you already answered, but have a question about #4.

You don’t need to add the second-time installation cost for the first 2 materials when you install the material after the first life expectancy period ended?

3 Likes

that makes sense, thank you

3 Likes