ARE Live: PA/PPD/PDD Math Using the Whiteboard and Calculator

who wins the shirt?

2 Likes

@katie.abraham was our t-shirt winner :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @esbuckberg I think you’re asking about calculating tributary area of a column? To do that, you’ll need to find the midway point between the column you’re calculating for and the adjacent columns, then divide that by two. It’s easiest to sketch this out, because then you’ll have lines dividing the column’s tributary areas, and can multiply the lengths and widths to find the tributary area of each column. Note that this generally needs to be done for each column individually - columns in the center of a floor plate will have larger tributary areas than the corner and edge columns, for example.
Once you have that information for a column, you can multiply by the live and dead loads imposed above to find the total force acting on the column. You can then size the column accordingly, depending on the material, to handle the load.
I hope I answered your question!

Hi @TammySugar - when you have a material with, say, a 15 year lifespan and you want to compare all materials over a 25 year period, you need to multiply by 25/15 in order to account for 1.67 life spans. The first 15 year life span is covered by the initial cost, then 10 years of the remaining 15 years on the second install are accounted for by performing the math this way. If you simply multiply by two, it’s not really a fair comparison because the 15 year material still has life left over after the 25 year period.
Hope that makes sense and good luck on your next exam!

Hey @coachchrishopstock, thanks for your response! I messed up the wording, I meant to ask about the bearing area of a beam on a supporting wall, not a column. My apologies for the mistake in wording, I’m essentially asking how you determine how many inches of a beam needs to be resting on the wall supporting it

I still don’t understand the Question #4. In the reality, when you install the material which has the life expectancy of 15 years up to 25 years. Someone needs to come back for the 2nd time installation after 15 years. It means the installation cost needs to be paid and included in the costs twice. But you mean this is not a real world question, so the 2nd time installation cost can be ignored. Correct?