Case study skills

I think after taking construction evaluation I’ve realized that my biggest weakness in taking these exams is going to be gaining the ability to go through the resources efficiently on the case studies. I think that I simply just do not have the skill-set required to sort through what feels like a large amount of resources in a short amount of time. I’m okay with PDF search functions and that kind of thing but there seems to be a basic skillsst that I’m missing that would enabled me to be agile enough to sort through all the resources and get the correct information. I have been out of school for a while and I think my reading comprehension probably begins to degrade under that kind of pressure but does anybody have any suggestions on how to develop the skill set to be able to navigate through all those resources?. I just do not seem to have that ability. I have gone through black spectacles practice exams and PPI but it just seems like their case studies are much easier than the real thing. And what would I search for: ninja resource sorting skills, open book exam searching skills, grace under pressure? Please help

Hi @wdeniger ,

I’m sorry to hear your last exam attempt wasn’t a success… Don’t be too hard on yourself! You are not alone and we are here to help!

There was another very similar post on the Community awhile back. Check out the response I provided for it: Exam Scenarios - #2 by coachdarionziegler

In addition to the resources linked in the post above, we also have a lot of free ARE Live podcast episodes that touch on the topic of case studies, strategies, and comprehension. I’ve linked a few of them below:

If you’re interested, you can search through the rest of the ARE Lives at the link below:

I know that’s a lot of resources, but I hope this reinforces that you aren’t the only one struggling with this! With time, patience, and effort you’ll get there.

In the meantime, feel free to reach out if you feel lost or if there is anything else we can do to help you on your path to licensure.

-Darion

1 Like

Thank you. This with get me going in the right direction.