Embodied energy

Where can I find the reference for embodied energy that black spectacles draws info from? (There are multiple embodied energy charts with different results.)

1 Like

Hi @meganhanck ,

Black Spectacles draws from resources listed within the ARE 5.0 handbook. Practical Applications videos are real professionals giving their take on subjects.

If you wish to read more into embodied energy I would recommend “Heating, Cooling, Lighting: Sustainable Design Methods for Architects”. It talks about Embodied Energy throughout, and does an introduction to the subject on page 61.

If there’s a particular part in a lecture you have questions about please let me know what video and timestamp you’re looking at and I’ll do my best to look into it further.

Hope this helps!
-Darion

1 Like

Thank you, is there any material I can reference in black spectacles that includes a chart/diagram of the different values? Thank you

1 Like

Hi @meganhanck ,

I apologize for the delayed response - I didn’t see this post until just now!
@coachchrishopstock can you please advise?

Thanks,
Darion

Hi @meganhanck - it’s pulled from a few different sources that are listed in the ARE handbook. Embodied energy is a notoriously hard thing to pin down - different sources list different values depending on exactly what they’re measuring. For the purposes of the ARE - it’s important to understand what materials have high embodied energies and which materials have low ones, but I wouldn’t expect to be able to recite specific information from a chart.