PcM Practice exam Form 3 Q.21

This is from the Practice exam Form 3 , question 21. Which of the following projects should the architect review to determine the standard of care?

Wouldn’t “A. A project located in the vicinity of the project the claim is being brought against. " be the right answer?
The vicinity will also be under the same climate zone with same weather conditions.
According to black spec the correct answer is " A similar project in a high precipitation area, constructed with different finish materials.”
Won’t this be an unfair comparison with a project located in a different locality, AHPP pg. 169 mentions ‘same general locale’. So I think answer A. is correct since even if it doesn’t give a lot of information.

@coachhayleypugh @coachthomastumelty

Hi @kokate! Thank you for your question.

This is a great example of a “choose the best answer” question. While more than one answer my seem “correct” to you, it is important to select the answer than NCARB deems correct.

Option A may not be “incorrect” at first glance, but Option D is a better answer because it refers to a more similar project as the one referenced in the question.

Option A is simply a project nearby; it could be any project type (i.e. single family home, skyscraper, etc.). Option D is a project in similar weather conditions and is explicitly described as “similar” to the project in question, therefore, the better answer.

I hope this helps!

Kiara Galicinao, AIA, NCARB
Black Spectacles