Question about slip joint in wall

Hi All,

Can anyone help me clarify in which conditions do we need slip joint in the wall? Also what’s the difference between the top slip and bottom slip?



Hello @whuang-

You utilize slip joints when there is an anticipated movement of the building. Due to expansion and contraction of materials (usually due to thermal changes) horizontal cracks can occur from shear forces that develop from the movement of these building components. Slip joints provide flexible-ish connections so that these building components (in this example walls and floor) can move independently and thus reduce the risk of cracking.

No difference between top and bottom slip joints they provide the same function, separation of building components to reduce cracks.


Thanks Elise! Does that mean we need to add this wall slip joint wherever we have material /thermal/moisture change? For example when we change from office corridor to restroom/core?

Hello @whuang -

There are three types of movement joints;

  1. Expansion Joint

  2. Control Joints (sometimes called contraction joint)

  3. Slip Joints

Typically slip joints correspond to the gap that the slab has when joining to a wall.

Take some time to research the other joints, they will be more specific in regards to changes of material/thermal changes.


6300 N. Northwest Highway P.O. Box 31846, Chicago, IL 60631-9998 / All rights reserved © 2020 Black Spectacles.