ARE Live: Project Development and Documentation Mock Exam

Submit your answers by 11am central on Thursday, January 30th to review your results during the broadcast of ARE Live.

If you’re not already registered, be sure to register and attend our ARE Live.

Win a free Black Spectacles T-shirt! Post the question you had the most difficulty with and how you arrived there in this thread to be eligible. Once signed in, simply click the “Reply” button below to post your response.

Missed the webinar, you can find the recording here.

Mock Exam answers - Click the arrow below, and click the blurred text to reveal the answers

Summary

1. The design team is detailing the wall systems for a classroom space. There is concern regarding
acoustic issues. Which of the following wall types will have the highest STC rating?

Correct answer is C

2. There is concern that bids will be over budget. You, the architect, should probably consider
using what tactics in the Bid Package? (Choose 3)

a. Remove portions of the program
b. Include add alternates
c. Submit RFI to funder / banker
d. Request unit cost information for specific materials and assemblies
e. Review Bidder Qualifications to ensure inclusion of Bidders with experience at
cost efficiency
f. Using AIA form G704, suspend project until Owner has appropriate finances

Correct answers are: B, D, and E

3. Which of the following cuts from the same log would produce flooring with the best wearing
characteristics?

a. Quarter sawn
b. Plain sawn
c. Rotary sawn
d. Half round sawn

Correct answer is A

4. What might I find in the air gap of a brick veneer wall? (choose 3)

a. Metal ties
b. Efflorescence
c. Blown in cellulose insulation
d. Rigid insulation
e. Flashing
f. Wythes

Correct answers are: A, D, and E

5. Finalizing the window schedule, the skylight glass should be ______?

a. Annealed Glass
b. Tempered Glass
c. Float Glass
d. Laminated Glass

Correct answer is: D

6. What is the actual dimension of a typical CMU block?

Correct answer is 7 5/8" x 7 5/8" x 15 5/8"

7. What is the nominal dimension of an 8’ 2x6?

Correct answer is 2 x 6 x 8’

8. How many board feet are there in a 2x4 joist measuring 24 feet long?

a. 24 board feet
b. 16 board feet
c. 48 board feet
d. It is not calculable

Correct answer is B

9. A “square” of roofing has a footprint of:

100 square feet
1000 square feet
50 square feet
60 square feet

Correct answer is A

The first question puzzled me because of C and D’s similarities. I thought that C may be right (and also uses less material) but I went with D.

1 Like

First question, I chose D thinking the extra layer would stop transmittance. I did not take into consideration the vibration.

1 Like

2 was complicated for me with the fact that there are multiple answers. I especially got confused with Add Alternates/Deduct Alternates. At least now I think I understand the difference now.

1 Like

2 Likes

Awesome post!

I was thinking the same thing actually. I had been taught that more weight = better resistance to sound, and thus with the additional 2 layers of gyp, I figured that would weigh more. I guess USG agrees :slight_smile:

Me too!

“Add alternates should be employed for only those aspects of the project that the owner considers desirable, but not essential.”
“Deduct alternates are a way for the architect to build a form of controlled cost-cutting into his construction documents.”
I don’t believe that add-alt would be a proper answer to this question.

3 Likes

I found number four difficult because I did not consider the rigid insulation inside of the air gap because it is typically behind a moisture barrier. The space that I was considering the “air gap” was between the moisture barrier and the veneer brick.

1 Like

sorry got in late on this. how would you build wall type D? can answer at the end.

1 Like

Wall type D - from a construction standpoint - how will the gypsum board be installed in between the two walls? I was confused if for such a question, should we not consider the build-able aspect?

3 Likes

For question 1, I chose answer C because I thought assembly D was not possible to build? There is gypsum board on the inside of each wall assembly. How would you construct that?

3 Likes

You’d probably build the first wall as a whole thing, and then possibly build the 2nd wall with ‘shaft-wall’ which allows you to slip that inside gyp surface onto the inside face.

2 Likes

tempered would not work at the skylight too?

1 Like

Thank you! That makes sense!

1 Like

If it broke, a ton of little pieces of glass would fall on your head. You want it laminated so that it wont’ fall on you.

Hardest question was the STC question. I think I just need to study the sound classifications more. It felt like a trick question.

1 Like

So: Tempered Glass for Vertical Applications and Laminated for Horizontal?

1 Like

thanks

1 Like