Reimbursable Expenses

Going through the B101-2017 and I am trying to understand the timing related to presentation materials. Can renderings, physical models, mock-ups, and professional photography requested by the Owner or required for the project ever be considered an additional service? Or will these items always fall under a reimbursable expense?

1 Like

Hi @algonquin ,

Great question! Another candidate had a question along a similar vein awhile back. This might be helpful for you:

Renderings can absolutely be billed as a supplemental service (if agreed upon prior to signing B101 and included in table 4.1.1 ) or as an additional service (if requested after the B101 is signed).

I believe that the AIA included renderings, physical models, etc. in ā€˜Reimbursableā€™ as a way to indicated that the physical materials to make these can be reimbursed. For ā€˜renderingsā€™ this would have been more applicable back in the days when they were hand done on expensive paper with expensive markers. At the same time, itā€™s also possible for example that you are hiring a professional photographer and billing the expense as a reimbursable to the owner rather than listing it as an hourly service your consultant is providing. It can absolutely depend on the situation!

Sorry I donā€™t have a nice black and white answer for you, but I hope this helps!
-Darion

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi
Iā€™m new to this review group. I can only say that in my opinion( I might not be right) the digital representation is a part of basic services , it is because those are our cad drawings/ BIM/revit drawings where we draw our plans and submittal requirements, where as rendering , by its word means an additional services since we do not really have to give the owner a rendered version of the project.