RFP - Getting Projects

Hi Everyone,

Question 3, form 3 specifically mentions actions a studio can take to increase their chance of obtaining projects through the RFP process.

The question is multiple choice (select 4/6)

With the given answers to choose from I was highly torn between: Respond to every RFP that the firm is aware of and Evaluate the client’s reputation

Obviously it’s not a great idea to respond to every RFP but because this is in regards to increasing odds of obtaining a project via RFP I did not see how evaluating the clients reputation would apply to this. I see that as more of a risk management process.

Can any of our coaches touch on this?

Thank you.

1 Like

@coachchrishopstock would you be able to help @Charlesanthonylent with this question?

Hi @Charlesanthonylent and thanks for the question!

The reason that ‘Respond to every RFP that the firm is aware of’ is incorrect here is that this will not actually increase the odds of obtaining a project - if a firm responds to every single RFP that they come across, their efforts to put forth compelling RFP responses will be diluted. They will certainly cast a wider net, so to speak, but the quality of their responses will be less than ideal, which may actually result in less projects being obtained through the RFP process.

It’s important to evaluate the client’s reputation when deciding which RFPs to respond to so that the firm can direct their efforts towards responding to RFPs with quality clients. Clients with poor reputations or lack of experience may put forth RFPs for projects that never actually materialize - if this happens, the architect has misplaced their efforts in responding to this RFP when they could have spent that time responding to a more fruitful opportunity. This happens often - inexperienced clients tend to get ahead of themselves and put forth RFPs for projects when they don’t have financing lined up, haven’t considered the cost implications of construction, etc.

For more information, this question was written based on the information in AHPP (15th edition) page 382.

Good luck in your studies!