A Calucalation question

I have a question about this scenario:

There is 400-acre land which has existing 900 buildings, density is 6/acre, the government wants to increase the density to 8/acre, so what density should be built to the rest of the land in order to bring the density to 8/acre?

I calculate it in this way :slight_smile:
900/6=150 acre
400-150=250acre
400x8=3200 buildings
3200-900=2300 building left
2300/250=9.2/acre

It’s not a whole number…what should I do about this question? Can someone give me some suggestions? Also, if we meet some questions in the exam, but the result was not a whole number, what should we do? shall we round it to the nearest whole number?

Thanks

Hi @ranbebexuan ,

Let me see if I can help! I’ve pasted a portion of NCARB’s blog post doing a deep dive into question types below:

Quantitative fill in the blank questions on the exam will specify the units. Unless there are cues in the question about what unit to round too, I wouldn’t round the response. In your example I would answer 9.2. At the same time, if you’ve gotten a wacky number and the prompt doesn’t ask you to round, you might want to reevaluate your calculation.

This isn’t an issue so much in your example, but I have gotten questions about rounding units during calculations in the past. Try not to worry about this too much. When NCARB creates a right answer for a quantitative fill in the blank it’s actually not a single answer, but rather a range of acceptable answers to account for rounding during calculations.

It is very important that you pay attention to any cues about rounding in the prompt. If it asks you to round the answer to the nearest tenth and you provide an answer rounded to the hundredths it will be flagged as wrong.

Hope this helps!
-Darion