ARE Live: ARE Testing Order & Strategy '21

@kelseyarch87 Yes, we still provide study guides for all 6 divisions - monthly day-by-day roadmap to studying as apart of our Expert subscription. Please review our pricing options here

2 Likes

Hi @gremlinsoso ,

I understand your struggle. I trained for a half marathon while studying for PPD & PDD. I failed my exams back to back, but got a better time on the race than I expected! I retook the exams immediately following the failure. I did a better job holding myself accountable to my study schedule and really engaged with the Black Spectacle’s materials on a level I wasn’t before. I was able to pass them both after this.

I would be sure to evaluate if you need to extend your study schedule. I failed to get through all of the PPD & PDD content the first time around, partially because I spent so much time running that I would fall asleep before watching all of the lectures I meant each night.

I would also try to integrate studying into your workouts. Perhaps you can do flashcards or read through notes while warming up on the treadmill.

But really, the biggest tip I have is create a schedule and stick to it no matter what.

Hope this helps!
-Darion

2 Likes

Thanks these are some good notes to follow!

2 Likes

Hi @twescott ,

Personally, I studied the same material after I failed PPD & PDD back to back. I was using BKS lectures and practice exams. However, I didn’t hold myself accountable to my study schedule. I failed to watch all the lectures and was often distracted while studying.

So, the second time around, I really dug in and made it through all the lectures while giving them my undivided attention. Then, I retook and passed! However, everyone is different and I think it can really depend on your individual learning style.

Hopefully this podcast is helpful! Don’t be scared - everyone I know has failed at least one and you are not alone.

-Darion

2 Likes

NO YOU ARE NOT! My poor wife is the expert in failing the exam. She has failed 5 out of the 6 exams at least 2 or3X each. She is so burnt! She is also a bad test taker.

1 Like

Hi @fnunez ,

Where the ARE is concerned, you are being tested only on the NCARB way, for better or worse. It can definitely be tricky to study for as what you see done in the office might not exactly align with NCARB and the AIA’s best practices, which is what you are being tested on!

I’d be sure to check out the information and resources available on www.AIAcontracts.org . This website is super helpful in my opinion!

@fnunez @gremlinsoso

We also have a couple of older podcasts centered around testing and study strategies. These might be helpful!

1 Like

Thank you so much! Yes, this all really helps. I definitely need to take a more scheduled approach with these last two exams. And I guess after the Sept exam I could always move up the next exam if I feel comfortable doing so.

1 Like

Do they still have scratch paper in the testing center? Or is everyone moving to the White Board?

1 Like

Thanks for your advice for first timers! Much appreciated!

-Marissa Alicea

1 Like

Hi @kelseyarch87 ,

There is no longer scratch paper in the testing center. In an effort to make sure all exams are uniform, everyone must use the whiteboard.

Here’s a helpful article NCARB put out on it:

1 Like

Great!

1 Like

Congratulations @fnunez for winning the BKS T-shirt!

2 Likes

Thank you so much for giving attention to my comments, and thank you for the shirt!

1 Like

Good afternoon,

Is it possible to get a size XL (or XXL), I am a 6’-4” guy. Thank you again for the t-shirt.

Regards,

Francisco A. Núñez Sr., RA

Senior Designer

NuAn Design

t. 718.458.1518 x2102

2 Likes

Yes, of course. Our Project Manager Piper sent an email asking for your address. Please respond when you can so we can send over the TShirt ASAP!