ARE Live: Project Planning & Design

We will use a mock exam to cover Project Planning & Design issues relating to the generation or evaluation of design alternatives that synthesize environmental, cultural, behavioral, technical and economic issues.

Please register for ARE Live: Project Planning & Design Mock Exam on Jun 18, 2020 12:00 PM CDT at:

https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/9172463954618267917

1 Like

In taking the mock exam, I had a question about #5. In relation to using natural ventilation, when architects specify passive systems, is it always used in addition to some kind of active system? My logic is this: due to sometimes unpredictable weather changes, we can’t always rely on a set pattern of wind as the source of ventilation. Should there be a day where it’s particularly windless, won’t the air change rate not be sufficient to meet those set by the code?

5 Likes

What is the main difference between CAV, VAV and how are the applications different? How much detail about this do we need to know this for the exam?

5 Likes

In question #2, I observed that Kentucky was mentioned. Are you expected to know location of cities? What if a person is not too familiar with the geography of United States.

5 Likes

good question! I was wondering the same thing… :thinking:

4 Likes

Good question, I’d be surprised if you were expected to know information like this. It would be more general in nature, I’d expect. It would be reasonable for you to be tested on whether you understand how different climates might affect architectural decision, but not specific cities…

4 Likes

Thank you for this Mock Exam!

4 Likes

You’re welcome! Hope it’s helpful :wink:

4 Likes

Based on my exam experience, I think you need to get familiar with US geography to be able to answer some of the related questions.

6 Likes

Thank you for the session! On question #2, how effective is one tree/trees as wind blocks? If the question does not specify to use landscape as shade, but only asking for the most proper location to plant landscape on a site. Would spot D be a reasonable choice?

4 Likes

Agreed. I have been asked about specific cities as well…

7 Likes

Item#3: I understand that a good sound absorptive wall will have a bad STC. Is this true?

5 Likes

what about late afternoon sun?
when do choices a and b apply…noise cancellation and IIC?

5 Likes

also, for Q4- is “a” the same as a “CRAC Unit”?

4 Likes

What is the most common application that you see trombe walls used? Q4

6 Likes

Can you speak to cost impact of the trombe wall?

4 Likes

What would be the order of the most expensive to least expensive systems?

3 Likes

does the iecc have an exception for the continuous insulation requirement for the trumbe wall

2 Likes

Same. I have been asked about cities as well but I think NCARB wants us to think of the current region/climate - temp. vs. cool vs. hot-humid vs. hot-arid - when answering these questions.

4 Likes

Good question, Gianna.
As Mike said, this generally hasn’t been used a ton, but it’s been seen in residential settings mostly.

2 Likes