Dance Studio Accessible Parking?

Hi, see question below. I don’t understand why you’d only take into account the Dance Studio portion and leave out the offices and other occupied spaces ? Certainly those workers add to the occupant load. And the question asks for the project not the dance studio alone.

While performing a site analysis, the architect determines that on-site parking is necessary.

How many accessible parking spaces are required for the project? Assume that the client has decided not to move forward with the additional floor for an exercise room.

The answer is 3

According to the parking requirements for a Dance Hall/Assembly area with no seats, one parking space is required for every 50 square feet of floor area used for assembly or dancing. The dance studio measures 3,500 square feet, so 7 spaces are required (3,500 sf / 50 spaces per square foot = 70).

Per IBC Table 1106.1, when 51-75 total spaces are provided, three spaces are required to be accessible

Hello @eyan50495 -

Can you provide the other parts of the question for me to review the language? If you are only required to find parking for the dance studio then it looks like you arrived at the correct answer.

Looking forward to you posting the additional information.

Hi, that is the full text to the question above! I disagree with it being 3 spaces as I believe it needs to include office occupancy and not just the dance studio itself as the question asks for the entire project’s requirement.

@eyan50495 thanks for the clarificiation.

@coachchrishopstock can you please provide additional explanation on this question?

Thanks,
-Elise

Hi @eyan50495 thanks for writing in.
This case study provides a ‘Parking Requirements’ resource for your use. This document only notes parking requirements for schools, assembly areas (such as the dance studio) and public parks. The document specifically notes that one parking space shall be provided for each 50sf of space used for assembly or dancing (i.e. not the office spaces). It does not note any requirements for office areas.
Parking requirements are set by local zoning ordinance - each municipality is free to set their requirements as they see fit. Some may require parking for office spaces in a building like this, some may not. When answering case study questions, only use the provided information in cases like this, do not assume anything based on your experience or intuition gained from working on other projects.
Lastly - you note that ‘certainly these spaces add occupant load’ - that’s true, but the concept of occupant load doesn’t have anything to do with parking requirements. Occupant load is a building code requirement whereas parking requirements come from zoning ordinances.
Thanks again and good luck on your next exam!