Doas?

The mechanical engineer of a new low-rise commercial building is proposing DOAS (dedicated outdoor air system) units as a means of complying with the owner’s sustainable design requirements.

What is the principal benefit of using a DOAS system?

The explanation of the answer cites Pg 668 - 669 of MEEB.

I went to these pages and was sadly disappointed to find only a single paragraph that does not explain how it works, and summarizes that a DOAS is “more of a potential than an actual trend.”

However, the explanation states that a DOAS is “often used on projects with high sustainable performance criteria. The ability to provide 100% fresh outside air reduces energy dependence because the return air system is powered and used far less frequently than in a conventional HVAC system.”

I have a 5th edition of The Architect’s Studio Companion, which is almost 10 years old and doesn’t have anything about DOAS.

The 12th edition of Architectural Graphic Standards isn’t much better.

I did find this website extremely helpful and wanted to pass along:
Radiant cooling/DOAS | HVAC Selection (wordpress.com)

Any other resources?

@gerald -

The principal benefits of using a DOAS system are the following;

• It combines ductwork which leads to lower initial costs.
    -Because it combines airflow it also reduces air volume and thus decreases the fan energy use.
  • It does a really good job of mixing fresh outdoor air and return air for a space, reducing cold and hot spots for the users.

-Elise

Hi Coach,

I was also reading in MEEB about DOAS. I understood it as the following:

There is a dedicated outdoor air duct system. It is continually moving fresh outdoor air through the building. Heating and/or cooling was a separate system, for example, a chilled beam. It sounded like DOAS was more of an add on to a system that is already providing heating/cooling.

Could you clarify or elaborate a little? Thank you

Hi @wildlandguy !

Thanks for your question! You are correct, it is system that is used in combination with a heating or cooling system. By divorcing heating and cooling requirements from ventilation requirements, a DOAS can maintain consistently high indoor air quality. Check out page 165 in the Architect’s Studio Companion for more information and reach out with any additional questions. Thanks!

-Rebecca