Exam question

Hi can you explain this answer further? I thought we’re supposed to keep the site as natural as possible, I get that the cut and fill works great because it reuses soils being excavated but wouldn’t you have to cut more land compared to building in a valley? I get the explanation on that it is on a water drainage basin.

A municipal park department wants to construct a soccer field in a steeply-sloped park.

What is the most economical means for the grading plan to accommodate the field and minimize the impact of site grading?

Balance cut-fill

Correct. A proper grading plan will balance the amount of soil removed or relocated (cut) with the amount of soil added (fill). This approach minimizes the amount of earthwork onsite and net import or export to the site.

Build in the valley

Incorrect. Since valleys collect all rainfall and surface water within the drainage basin, this would disrupt the natural flow of the site far more than construction atop the ridge or on a hillside.

Build retaining walls

Incorrect. Retaining walls are an important tool to accomplish the site’s gradings goals. However, retaining walls are labor-intensive, costly, and greatly disrupt the site.

Reference: Site Planning and Design Handbook

@sergioclaure93 -

These sorts of questions are looking for minimal impact. Whenever you see a question that reference nature then proceed with caution. Make sure that whatever answer you write has minimal environmental impact.

-Elise

1 Like