Flexural Failures vs Compression Failures

Hello!
I’m having difficulty understanding the difference between Flexural and Compression failure types. Are they the same? I’m getting mixed information about this for both beams and columns, steel & concrete.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you! :slight_smile: @coachkellyclarke
Ashley

1 Like

Flexural failure happens in beams and is related to the rebar failing if it is a tension failure or may be the result of the concrete breaking if it is a Compression failure.

Recommend reading a book of structure for architects.

2 Likes

Hi @mingo.draft let’s see if a different architect can help with this one. @coachdarionziegler do you mind jumping in?

2 Likes

I have to admit, structures is something that never stuck with me. I relied on the Black Spectacles PPD & PDD lectures to get me through the structures questions on the exams.

Thanks for the book recommendation @mingo.draft ! I don’t have that one, but I might need to get it.

Like Mingo said, flexural failure happens in beams. I think what maybe confusing is that there are multiple types of ‘flexural failure’ in beams including ‘flexural tension failure’ and ‘flexural compression failure’. Pure ‘compression failure’ typically is referring to failure in columns.

I found this free online resource that has a few articles that do a great job providing pictures and summarizing failure types:

1 Like