Form 2 question 55

The question reads “Calculate the required minimum width for each means of egress door opening. Use 0.2” of egress width per occupant and round up to the nearest inch."

The correct answer runs through the math of the problem but then states after “However, International Building Code (IBC) 1010.1.1 states, “The required capacity of each door opening shall be sufficient for the occupant load thereof and shall provide a minimum clear opening width of 32”.”

The question doesn’t ask what the required minimum is, it asks you to calculate the minimum required width (nuanced but different). I know NCARB tries to trip you up but this answer does not fulfill what the question is asking.

I believe the key words are “MEANS OF EGRESS” therefor being that it is, it requires 32" minimum, even if you calculated less.

I believe it was this question that said there are 4 exits provided. Since it is only 100 to 500 occupants, only 2 exits are required, correct? So do you divide (occupantsx.02) by all doors provided (4) or by the minimum required doors (2)?