Live Q&ARE w/ Desk Crits authors Tess McNamara & Sam Zeif

nope its going on now

Hi! @PBrunn! Yes, we created our own study schedule! I definitely recommend doing this when you first sit down to study. First, gather information and decide what resources you are going to read, and what practice tests you want to take. Then plan it all out given your personal/work schedule and when you best like to study! We generally studied 1 month per exam, and would study all weekend the two weekends before, if that helps!

As @TRCALLAWAY mentioned it’s going on right now!

2 Likes

oh how do I get to hear this…I am confused apparently :slight_smile:

Hi @mansoureh62! You can buy Desk Crits at www.deskcrits.com, and be sure to use SPECTACLES10 at checkout for an additional $10 off!

1 Like

May I know where can i find the coupon?

Yeah sorry about that, this is a text based Q&A, so they’re replying to questions here in this thread. In the future we’re looking at doing a video to go with it.

From @desk_crits

You can buy Desk Crits at www.deskcrits.com, and be sure to use SPECTACLES10 at checkout for an additional $10 off!

i was confused also and was looking for the audio link to this.

1 Like

Yeah sorry about that, we’ll include audio/video next time around for sure

1 Like

Okay I got you. That makes a whole lot more sense. No biggie…I don’t feel as stupid at least :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi @tamar_K, totally – everyone’s experience will be different. For us, using the resources and notes in Desk Crits, we were getting around 70% on Black Spectacles exams and were able to pass all 6! I think it will depend on your professional experience as well. When we took the exams I (Tess) had 2 years of professional experience, and Sam had 1

Thank you!

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

How do I keep myself motivated after failing an exam? What are some strategies you used to continue with the exams?

1 Like

Yes, good question! It definitely varies by exam, but I would say for each exam there are at least a few things to memorize. In the book we have Exam Outlines for each test that lay out what to study (down to specific pages in specific resources) and what the most important things are to memorize and have on hand. Here are a few I can think of now, off the top of my head:

PcM: Memorize how to calculate the overhead rate, break-even rate, and utilization rate. There are a few more key metrics in the book.

PjM/CE: Know the conversions from sq ft to sq yard, cubic foot to cubic yard, and between acre/hectare/feet

The car park width is a good one to know, you also generally should memorize the key ADA dimensions and key code dimensions. Knowing off the top of your head what the different sections of the IBC are will help a lot for the later exams (ie - that Chapter 9 of IBC is Fire Protection). You should also know the key sections of MasterFormat, and know the spectrum of metals on the galvanic scale for PDD!

As far as time management goes, we recommend leaving 1.5 hours (that’s ideal, you can also get away with 1…) for the case studies and working backwards to figure out where you need to be halfway through the multiple choice section. Write the benchmark questions and times down on your scratch paper as soon as the test starts. For example, you might write: “Question 49 at 3:15 remaining. Start case studies at 1:30.” Time management is crucial and we do get into more detail in the book.

1 Like

What advice do you have in transitioning from the ARE4.0 exams to the ARE5.0? I know one of the main differences are the case studies vs. the vignettes. I originally knocked out the CDs, PPP, and Site planning in the old version and have PPD & PDD left to do in 5.0. Thanks!

1 Like

I failed my last one several months ago but felt i knew the material. I am just now ramping back up to take it again. I think i should have stuck with it and retaken the test shortly after i failed.

1 Like

Hi! Yes, we laid out the books we think are required in another post - I’ll @ you there. Also used the free AIA contracts, Schiff Harden Lectures, IBC and ADA (both free online, but try to find a PDF because thats what you’ll get on the exams!)