Virtual Workshop Preview on PDD '21

Typically, yes, but this is an example of making sure we read the question thoroughly. Type IIB is defined as ‘unprotected’ which speaks to the protection on the materials themselves and/or a sprinkler system. The materials themselves may not have additional coatings or protections on them which would classify it as IIB.

2 Likes

Hi @christine

Our virtual workshops are every Sunday. You can view the amount of time it takes to complete the videos by logging into your dashboard and the time displays under each product for the division. It’s going to be different for each division and the time will depend on how fast you watch the videos.

Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 12.23.11 PM

Hi Christine, on the exam you will not have access to the entire IBC. In this example you’ve been given portions of the IBC relevant to answering the question. You will not be required to memorize specific data points from various tables in the IBC to answer a question like this without given resources.

2 Likes

In regards to Question 5, For Wall A, Since there is not a tag at the stairwell should we assume that Wall A would be the same rating as Wall C?

1 Like

Thats a relief! I thought we were required to memorize much of this.

1 Like

Great! This is very helpful!

1 Like

Fortunately not (thank goodness)! You should be familiar with construction types and know some accessibility clearances, but don’t worry about knowing the values from specific tables, like table 1020.1 or occupancy tables.

Hey Allison, that’s a good question. My gut would say no; it should be assume that is the same type as wall D. I say this because stairwells have specific fire wall requirements, and I would match the existing wall type that’s noted on that specific stairwell, not necessarily the other stairwell, which could theoretically be a convenience stair, not an exit stair.

Thanks for that clarification!

Hi @monicafitzpatrick

Until I sign up, I can’t see this type of information in the dashboard… But if one section is 11 hours of video, that gives me a good idea. I just was not sure if the time commitment was one that necessitated working at a reasonable pace, or one that required dedicating 40 hours a week to studying, for example. Thank you.

1 Like

Christine,
This is a great question, it’s funny, I was actually working on some updated language to clarify some of these things just this morning. Let me address your questions specifically as best as I can.

1. VW’s are 2 hours each Sunday, and so yes you can attend 3 workshops in 4 weeks.
  2. The lectures vary in duration depending on the exam, I think the shortest division has about 10 hours of lectures, and the longest (PPD/PDD) is around 30 hrs.
  3. The # of flashcards also vary depending on the exam between about 100 to 300.

Thanks!
Marc

1 Like

Gotcha! Definitely let us know if you have any other questions!
If you want to ask other Black Spectacles users questions about how they manage the VW’s, videos & flashcards before making a decision, join our Facebook Group!

@marcteer

Perfect, thank you! I have the Pro Practice exam booked in 4 weeks and I was worrying I should push it back as work has been busy. I did just finish my masters and we had classes in Pro Practice, so its all still very fresh, which is why I thought I was safe to schedule right away. I am hoping Black Spectacles will help boost my confidence going into the exam.

With the code that is being provided for a discount at end of session, when will that expire?

1 Like

Hi! Thank you for your time…

2 Likes

It will expire by the next ARE Live Episode, which is on March 18th.

2 Likes

@marcteer @monicafitzpatrick
Thank you! Is it possible to attend two virtual workshops on one Sunday, or do they occur concurrently?

Thank you for the presentation!

Every candidate has a unique story on how they passed any or all 6 divisions of the ARE. But, if you could go back in time and give yourself one piece of advice, what would it be? Post your one key to passing the ARE by clicking the ‘New Topic’ button in our Community and we’ll feature the best pro tips on social media.

http://ow.ly/JWch50ARB2w

Hi @christine They actually occur concurrently.
But you can get a better view of the layout of the dashboard with timeframes of the videos

I hope this helps a bit more!