Where are you on your path to licensure?

Thanks for this - I’m struggling a bit to get on track. I took PDD 2nd time and failed - kind of took the wind out of the sails. I’m studying for CE and I honestly am having a hard time getting into it -like I may study a ton and fail so not jazzed about it. I’ve pushed out the exam a few times now because of work etc.
Anyway - your study guidelines seemed realistic - thanks

1 Like

Hi @matt !!

We encourage you to join our new ARE Facebook Group. Many members have been sharing great study tips!

Thanks Monica - i’m not really using FB these days - too invasive. any other recommendations
would be welcomed
thanks - trying to get back into this - i keep pushing back my next exam date

Hello! So I’m just now getting my bearings in the world of architecture. I graduated in 2007, but never worked in architecture besides an internship. I spent a decade in theatre doing set design/scenic art/props. I’ve been back in the arch field since 2018 and gaining AXP hours. I won a free exam voucher through my local AIA chapter, so now I’m about to buckle down and start exams next year. (starting with PcM)

My big questions: I kept all of my student books including all the Ching and student versions of the AHPP and Building codes. Have there been so many changes in books I need to update them? Do I need the full version of AHPP to study with? I’m planning on purchasing the Ballast Exam Review, taking advantage of the Black Spectacles website free content, and books in my office library.

P.S. through the Live practice quiz/review hours, and surfing through these boards lately, I’m starting to feel less overwhelmed by all of this. So thanks for that!

3 Likes

Hi Everyone,

I’m Darion and I am currently one of the instructors of the Black Spectacles Project Management workshops. I also help answer questions on the Community and the Black Spectacles facebook group.

I got my license in 2019. I used various study materials including Black Spectacles. I mainly used the practice exams until it came to PPD & PDD. After initially failing them back to back, I really dug deep into Black Spectacles lectures and held myself more accountable to my study schedule. I was able to pass on my second attempt!

I’m happy to be here. Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions or concerns about the ARE! Project management topics are my forte, but I do my best to answer any questions.

-Darion

Hi @heather ,

Welcome! I’m glad you are finding the boards helpful!

Personally, I recommend having and studying the full and current AHPP for PjM, PcM, and C&E. There’s so much content on these exams pulled from this resource. I also love the aiacontracts.org website for all things contracts!

As far as editions of other books go… I’ve never bought a current one in my life. I think for the majority of them you should be fine, just as long as you can recognize when a piece of information might be slightly out of date and you might need to investigate further. If you can get current versions its preferable, but if you’re supplementing with Ballast and other items I think you can get by with old ones!

What is everyone else using to study?

1 Like

Hello all,

So far i’ve passed 3 exams (PcM,PjM & CE) and prepping to take (2nd attempt) the PA in a couple of weeks. I’m going on my 23rd yr of being in the profession, and I really need to get the ARE monkey off my back. I’m hoping this next attempt will be a positive one so i can move on to PPD & PPD.

1 Like