Amps vs. watts vs. volts

I am having understanding the difference between Amps, volts, and watts. I have read and watched about the water analogy, but I’m not grasping the concept. Any other analogies out there that will help?

1 Like

I’ll reach out to our PDD expert (@coachbryanhadley) and see if he can help us out here.

Hi @molls808,

Try this:
http://www.newelectric.com/whats-the-difference-between-amps-volts-and-watts/#:~:text=Amps%20would%20be%20the%20volume,was%20used%20to%20power%20mills).

"Amp – an ampere is the unit for measuring electricity. The accepted standard unit used for measuring how fast an electric current flows is an example of an ampere. (RATE OF FLOW)

Volt – the basic unit of electromotive force in the SI and MKS systems, equal to the electromotive force, or difference in potential, that causes a current of one ampere to flow through a conductor having a resistance of one ohm. (PRESSURE or FORCE)

Watt – the basic unit of electric, mechanical, or thermal power in the SI and MKS systems, equal to one joule per second or 10 ergs per second (of a horsepower): for electric power it is equal to one volt-ampere. (POWER)

Electricity is the flow (like water) of electrons through a conductor like a wire. The rate at which electricity flows is measured as an electric current. The electric current is measured in amps. What makes the current flow? In our water analogy we could say a battery would be the pump that makes the water flow which creates pressure in the pipe. The pressure is the voltage. And as we said before the watts are the power the water could provide (like to a mill wheel). The watt is a measure of how much power is released each second."

Hope it helps.

1 Like