ARE Hotline: PcM

Licensed architects standing by to answer your most pressing questions for each division.

Don’t wake up in a cold sweat worrying about project type analysis or requirements. Post your question in this thread for our on-call licensed experts to answer. Like all good things they take some time, but rest assured you’ll get a response within 36 hours. The expert for this division is @cat.heard9.

Click the ‘Reply’ button right below this text to submit your question.
We admire your generosity, but please DO NOT post screenshots from our paid content

In AHPP in the section about Methods of Project Delivery, it reads:

Driving factor: What is the most important outcome driving the project for the
owner—cost, risk, quality, or schedule?

What project delivery method might an owner select because of risk and can you please further explain why?

1 Like

Hey @crystalp; good question.

It’s hard to pinpoint exactly which Project Delivery Method offers the least amount of risk for an owner, due to varying factors on projects. If I had to choose, I would recommend using Integrated Project Delivery (IPD) as the path of ‘least risk’, due to including all voices at the table from the outset of a project. This generally helps reduce frustrations in the construction process and helps ensure all opinions are heard and considered early on in the design process.

Here are some additional links if you want some further reading:

• AIA put together a powerpoint going over some of the pros and cons to the different delivery methods that’s worth reviewing. It highlights benefits and disadvantages (includes risk exposure) for each delivery method.
  • Plangrid (a commonly used construction management tool) also has a blog post weighing the pros/cons of different delivery methods, that might be helpful.
  • Pages 998-999 in the AHPP offer a little more in-depth view into risk associated with project delivery methods.

Look over some of these and let me know if you have follow up questions regarding risk or project delivery methods.

2 Likes

Thank you so much! Those resources sound great and I look forward to digging more into the pdms.

2 Likes

Question, I recently took the PCM exam and unfortunately i wasn’t able to receive a passing grade. I am now preparing to re-take the exam and was wondering if you could tell me what sections in the “Th Architects Handbook of Professional Practice - 15th edition” I should be studying?
Thanks!

1 Like

Hopefully, this helps.

Practice Management

Overall

2 Likes

Hey @csilverberg! Sorry to hear you didn’t get the result you were hoping for, I know that feeling (failed 3 of my 6 exams myself). Fortunately, because of that, I have lots of resources that can help you narrow in for your retake. Take a look at these study guides by Wiley. They break down AHPP by NCARB objective.

Take a look at these and let me know if you have any other questions.

You beat me to it! Glad you’re using them too! These were a game changer for me. Hopefully they’ll help others out, too!

Thank you!
Make a great day!

1 Like