ARE Live: How to Pass the ARE During Stressful Times

Ditto! I had 2 girls during the process…Thanks for your realness…

1 Like

'03 Graduate here! Was never good with standardized tests either.

4 Likes

Can you speak to suggestions on taking the exam at the testing centers vs. taking the exams remote via the upcoming change in November? In a non-COVID world, would any of you have chosen to take the exam remote if the opportunity was available?

1 Like

Any ideas about taking the ARE while unemployed, looking for work and part-time kids during covid? I still have the opportunity to take my time to study with support from my wife and network, but after three months of unemployment finances are getting dire and every minute I study is a minute I don’t spend looking for work… stressful to think about this decision each time I sit down.

2 Likes

Q: I’m a not a strong test taker. Is there any advice for someone who has run away thoughts while answering test questions?

2 Likes

@byrd What do you mean by run away thoughts?

1 Like

Hi all! I’m not working directly in an architectural design role – I’m a BIM Manager – and while I’ve finished my hours, I haven’t submitted my application for eligibility. This could be a self-inflicted feeling of inferiority, but am I nuts for thinking that I should take the exams? I think I’m subconsciously feeling like an imposter. I graduated with my masters in architecture in 2018 and all I’ve wanted for the last ten years or my life is to be an architect, but I guess I partly feel like I don’t deserve it.

2 Likes

I got re-motivated to schedule exams and I had to push them out months further than expected and in a different city… Be patient and know that you can carve out the time. Still learning to take that advice

1 Like

@Ashley.Hastings You deserve it!

2 Likes

For Jenny - you took both version 4 and 5… how did you find the change in the vignette test drafting program between the two versions? I tried to do the same thing, but after failing a section 3 times I let work distract me and never restarted.

2 Likes

I think I know what byrd means. I have them too. I read a question, and there might have been a unrelated thought popped in while I read the question, such as the itchy mask, or the sound of the ventilation,… or something about the place I read the book that described the subjetc matter of the question. When time is a big issue, you don’t want those “run away” thoughts. How to you stay focussed and shoo away those unrelated thoughts?

2 Likes

It means I read the question 2 or 3 times.

2 Likes

I think that is what s/he means, too, but I want byrd to clarify.

1 Like

I want to hear about that too! How to “adjust”after failing?
Keep going on other tests or reschedule right away and move other tests???

1 Like

Q: wondering if any of you had the approach of changing the section of exam you’re studying for after failing-it?

1 Like

What would you say is the most valuable resource (text, website, or other) you used to study for the ARE?

1 Like

Mainly diving too deep into the question, which causes me to spend too much time on the question. Leading to lost time and I end up second guessing myself.

1 Like

I have worked at firms that reimburse after you pass each section. Current firm also has a bonus once you achieve licensing.

1 Like

Hi! Thank you for talking to us! I was wondering if you had any thoughts on moving to a different state in the middle of taking the exams? Would that be hard? Should I take the exam for the state I would be moving to rather than the state I’m in currently? Thanks!

1 Like

That is part of it as well.

1 Like