ARE Live: ARE Testing Tips for ESL Candidates

logotype - are live@2x

Join us for our upcoming ARE Live episode on September 16, where we’ll be hosting a panel discussion on ARE Testing Tips for ESL (English as a Second Language) Candidates. We’ll have a few guest speakers join us to share their experiences with the licensure process as non-native English speakers, as well as their top testing tips on how to overcome a language barrier with the ARE.

Register Here!

Join the conversation and tell us about your experience studying for the ARE when English is not your first language. What study strategies have helped you overcome the language barrier?

We’ll see you on Thursday, September 16 at noon Central !

2 Likes

I think this is going to be a great podcast for ESL candidates and native English speakers alike.

A lot of test taking isn’t just understanding the material, but also understanding what the question is asking. These questions aren’t always obvious, even to experienced architects!

If you’re someone who struggles with the language used in the questions I would definitely tune in.

1 Like

We want to hear from you! Share your story, study tips, or just say hi for the chance to win a free Black Spectacles t-shirt.

Hello

1 Like

That’s right! While reviewing many of the practice questions I’ve realized that while I might have known the material, I didn’t read/understand the question adequately or some of the answers correctly.

2 Likes

Hello

1 Like

same thing happened to me

1 Like

Hello, welcome to the ARE Community!

1 Like

Hello, thanks for joining us today!

Remembering the keyword helps a lot!

1 Like

I do the same using keywords. But I feel like NCARB is very tricky and provide several “right” answers. How did you get around it?

1 Like

Great question! We’ll ask our panelists and our licensed architect @coachchrishopstock might have some tips for choosing the “most” correct answer. As Mike Newman says: “You must think about it as not what is the right answer , but what is the answer they are looking for ?”

Process of elimination… especially if any of the answers have words like always or never.

1 Like

Hello Black Spectacles! Hello Mark!
Iwona

1 Like

Studying for the AREs most definitively required devotion!

1 Like

I keep googling words for better understanding and make note of the ones that I think I might not remember.

1 Like

Hello!

1 Like

One thing that bothers me in the language used in the questions. Ncarb does not always use the same word to describe the item…
Consistency is key for us ESL test takers

1 Like

any tips on how to approach a question after having spend many precious minutes reading and have no clue what the question is asking?

1 Like

Any advice as to what score to score on muck exams on Black spectacle before taking the actual exam?

1 Like