ARE Live: Programming & Analysis

I had to answer the phone and missed question 2. Which is the right location?

3 Likes

Correct to a certain extent. I believe partition walls count as net square footage, but structural walls, shafts, and stairways are not counted.

4 Likes

Location c. The upper, lefthand option. Above the water drainage swale and unobstructed views to the northeast.

4 Likes

From a leasing perspective, correct.

3 Likes

Good question, youā€™re right that ā€˜efficiencyā€™ relates to a variety of topics. In the case of Mikeā€™s question it relates to ā€˜building layoutā€™ efficiency, ie how much of the space is usable for the buildingā€™s intended purpose, like space for desks in an office, or classrooms in a schoolā€¦
M

4 Likes

Thanks!

4 Likes

Ah, so in this case, efficiency is referring to both?

2 Likes

Hey Jamie, interior walls can affect efficiency of a building, especially if there are core hallways or public areas that are not rentable. (I work in real estate and I believe this is true, please feel free to correct me or elaborate if I am incorrect, or if the ARE Exam ā€œseesā€ it differently.)

4 Likes

Hey @cat.heard9 ! Can we possibly find a couple of resources learning about solar azimuth for @heather & @drewd

2 Likes

Check Problem Seeking pages 98 and 99. Its a little different.

3 Likes

For sure. @heather, @drewd;

To start, check out Building Construction Illustrated (5th edition), chapter 1.14

Iā€™ll keep looking and post some additional references after the webinar

4 Likes

For question 2, I still feel like D would be the best location for the restaurant. Could you explain more why C is the best spot?

4 Likes

C is the better option because the view to the northeast from location ā€˜dā€™ is partially obstructed by the slope on the eastern side of the site plan.

Oops, Iā€™m realizing I was mixing up locations. Let me refer to the site plan again and Iā€™ll update my response.

Okay, after consulting the site plan, the answer still stands. Location ā€˜dā€™ would have a partially obstructed view due to the slope it sits on. Location d is at roughly 625ā€™ in elevation. The slop to the northeast continues increasing, up to 640ā€™. This would mean the restaurant views would be impeded by about 15ā€™ of elevation above the restaurant.

4 Likes

For the question regarding gross and net area, is 72% the answer because 55% is wasting too much usable area? Sorry if this seems to be similar to my last question, just want to make sure.

3 Likes

Yes thatā€™s correct. To translate those numbers into architecture, 72% of the space us usable for the intended purpose vs 55% being usable. So yes, more usable space is better than lessā€¦
M

3 Likes

thank you!

3 Likes

Thank you

4 Likes

Correct. An office building having only 55% net area would imply a poorly designed building. 55% is low for net square footage for typical office spaces.

3 Likes

So 96% is too high- meaning itā€™s unrealistic for such as tallish building, correct? (Not enough core, structure etc?) Because I chose this one without thinking too hard- I was thinking higher the better LOL . :woman_facepalming:t2:

3 Likes

Correct. 96% is too high and would imply poor design as well (this might mean stairs, elevators, and other mechanical spaces are not included in the building ā€“ yikes!)

4 Likes