ARE Live: Programming & Analysis

Join us & ARE expert Mike Newman as we review a Programming & Analysis mock exam. Touching on development knowledge and skills relating to architectural programming, environmental, social, and economic issues, as well as codes and regulations, you’ll be the pro when we’re done.

Please register for ARE Live: Programming & Analysis Mock Exam on July 16, 2020 12:00 PM CDT at: https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/6335344625439998732

1 Like

I found the Solar Azimuth question tricky. I haven’t really had a lot of experience with figuring solar patterns, so I definitely need to brush up on that.

2 Likes

Hey @heather tune in @ 12pm CT and we’ll expand on that question.
Let us know if you have any other questions during the live!

1 Like

I also found the solar azimuth question
difficult. Looking forward to discussing it today and where I can find more resources learning about it!

2 Likes

Hi @drewd & welcome to the ARE Community!
Let’s see if we can pull some resources for you!

1 Like

Yes, the azimuth was tough - I’ve never actually been asked that on a project.

2 Likes

Yeah, its good content for a test question…

1 Like

is the gross area vs. net area question based off of rules of thumb? how are net area and gross area defined?

3 Likes

Is F.A.R. a maximum? If we’re given F.A.R. we still have to consider building height, correct?

2 Likes

Yes, FAR is a maximum. And yes you do need to consider building height.

3 Likes

Are covenants enforceable in a court of law if it contradicts constitutional rights?

(Hi Jamie! Fellow webinar attendee!)

4 Likes

Gross building area is defined as “The total area of a building; usually expressed in square feet or square meters.”
Net building area is the occupiable space of a building.

Check out this for more information: https://medium.com/@goSkwerl/what-is-the-difference-between-net-and-gross-floor-area-f8d4093445bf

4 Likes

Hi Jesicka-
I believe that a covenant is enforceable in a court of law, but I don’t know how that relates to ‘constitutional rights’. I’d assume that if a covenant conflicts with some sort of constitutional right, that a lawsuit could be raised to challenge it. I’d suggest though, that for the scope of the exam, that this part of your question probably falls outside of the scope of the exam. I hope that helps.
M

4 Likes

Love this format! Thank you.

5 Likes

Thanks Barbara!

3 Likes

Hi @barbara.hughes & welcome to the ARE Community! So glad you love it!

2 Likes

Hi Jes! I answered choice a, answered a little too quickly…

2 Likes

I made the same mistake. Easy to do!

3 Likes

It sounds like Net Area is synonymous with rentable area. Thoughts?

3 Likes

Isn’t the efficiency of a building related to exterior walls only? Does net area also exclude interior walls? do interior walls affect efficiency of a building?

3 Likes