ARE LIVE: Project Development & Documentation Exercise '22

Isn’t table 506.2 Allowable area per STORY ?

it was stated in the original question

I had the same comment, the allowable are is per floor not total for the bui9lding

Thanks, missed the original.

The scenario notes that the original building is 60’ tall with equal floor heights, and the question notes that the new floor will be identical to the other residential floors.

The allowable are in table 506.2 is per floor not total for the building. Please clarify

Maybe I just missed it, but on the last question - wouldn’t it also exceed the allowed height? If you have it as mixed use and not horizontally separated, you’re adding a level onto an already 60’ tall building. Am I to assume I should be using the S category instead of the S13 categories because they don’t specify?

take a look at this thread, where another virtual workshop instructor explains!

yes, S instead of S13 because it’s not specified.

Thanks, will take a look

For example question 3, how much of wall type would be recommended to be memorized?

I wouldn’t go about memorizing - I think Marissa’s recommendation here is spot on. You can deduce the ratings of these wall types relative to each other and that’s enough information to answer this question, if you also understand which walls being described need more fire protection than others.

I would have assumed the corridor was part of the egress path. Wouldn’t that increase it from a 1/2 hour wall to 1-hr?

why wouldn’t wall B be considered Type II?

See exception #1 to 708.3

1 Like

The corridor would be considered “common path of egress” most likely.

The prompt only said the building was sprinkled, not that a voice annunciation system exists. Why would we assume that it exists to allow us to use the exception?

hello, it says sprinkler OR voice alarm system

Don’t you have to divide 140 occupants by 2 because you need 2 exits so that the actual occupant load per exit would be 14 inches?

That’s not what the code says. It says one sprinkler type or a different sprinkler type and a voice alarm system. There isn’t punctuation to indicate the voice alarm system isn’t a requirement with both.