ARE Live: Site Selection

Hello Everyone!

2 Likes

Hi everyone!

2 Likes

Hello everyone!

3 Likes

Hello everyone. Thank you Black Spectacles for hosting these sessions, I always enjoy ARE Live.

3 Likes

hello everyone, like the topic today. thank you.

2 Likes

I cant see the answers for question 2

1 Like

Hi! Just passed PPD on Monday and have only PDD to go!

Was wondering to what extent PDD will be addressing this topic? It seems like it pops up in a few of the objectives, but isn’t featured as much as PA and PPD. Is this true?

3 Likes

Nevermind. I see them on the site plan

1 Like

Congrats on your pass Desiree!

-Taylor

2 Likes

thank you!

1 Like

Thank you for having this sessions, it is really helpful!
Really looking forward to have a Sun Wind & light session~

2 Likes

Hi @desireegcurrie !

Congrats on your pass and thanks for your question! While there always does tend to be some overlap with Site Selection in a number of the exams, I would say that PDD doesn’t cover it nearly as much as PA and PPD. PPD has an objective of “Environmental Conditions and Context” and PA has objectives “Environmental and Contextual Conditions” and “Site Analysis and Programming” while PDD doesn’t necessarily have any objectives pertaining to Site Selection.

It’s always good to have a general understanding of site analysis and selection for a number of the exams in case you get a cross division question, although I’m sure you already do with your recent pass!

-Rebecca

1 Like

for question 3, you did not take into account the the driveway at the rear
As a general rule for parking lot design you need 400 sf/ per spot. 400 x 48 = 19200. however all you have is 120x140 = 16800! The parking doesn’t fit!

1 Like

Are ARE Live videos recorded and saved somewhere that we can watch later?

1 Like

Yes! This episode will be available on our website no later than tomorrow. You can find all our past episodes here: ARE Live Podcast - Prepare for the ARE | Black Spectacles

1 Like

Question 3: Are parking lots required to adhere to zoning setbacks?

1 Like

Hi @Moshe !

Thanks for your comment! Most efficient parking lot layouts typically allow for 300-350 sf per parking stall (350x48=16,800) however less efficient parking lots or structures can require 400 sf per parking stall or higher. Hope this helps clarify!

-Rebecca

1 Like

Hi @matthew !

That’s a great question and every jurisdiction is different. Typically, parking lots are allowed within the zoning setback although many jurisdictions require a minimum distance between parking lots and the road for sidewalks, landscaping, etc. On an exam, the questions should give those setback requirements whether for parking or for buildings.

-Rebecca

1 Like

Thanks Rebecca!

1 Like

Definitely looking forward to this exam. Passed CE and PcM thanks to Black Spectacles, heading to PjM next.

3 Likes