ARE Live: Study Strategies for Passing the ARE

Hi! Welcome to the ARE Community! We’re glad you joined the webinar!

I stacked them as close as possible, so I didn’t have a break. Back in 2004 when I took the test, there were 9 tests, and so I stacked them 2 weeks apart. I was a little unsure about the structures tests, so I spaced those out 3 weeks apart. I think those tests were a bit shorter than the current ones, so maybe with the current tests, 3 weeks apart, and then 4-5 for PPD/PDD. The big idea was this: “how much time are you REALLY going to study”- and I felt that 2 weeks was realistic for me. Back in 2004 I just read through the book, took the quizzes and flashcards, and then took the test. I did fail 1 of the tests and had to retake, but it definitely worked! A big part of it working was the study ‘pattern’ I got into. I gained momentum as we went along, which really helped. Also, the material overlapped, so studying for the tests in such close proximity helped me study for other tests…

M

2 Likes

Poll disappeared for me too!

2 Likes

I lost the poll

The other side of 2020. When we are all stuck in a freeze.

1 Like

Sum. quickly and simply in my own words

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Right!

1 Like

What has been successful for me is creating my own notes with sketches. Regurgitating what I have read or reviewed in my own words and sketches has helped me understand content a little better.

2 Likes

Great tip! Thanks for sharing!

Are there certain types of strategies you would apply to different tests? ie: PcM would have different strategies from PDD.

1 Like

I appreciate the optimism. I am determined to pass this test, so I am encouraged by the overall positive attitude.

1 Like

This was great! Thank you

1 Like

Good luck on your next exam! :tada: :muscle:

Nice! Great news that you’re adjusting to the white board and the new testing approach…

1 Like

Looking forward to the day when I will win your cool T-shirt!

2 Likes

Thank you all for taking the time to give us a little motivation to pass the ARE!!

1 Like

Hi @u.goel91! Thanks for asking about this; yesterday’s webinar wasn’t focused on the new ARE format but you can read more about it here. This gives our take on the updates as well as links back to NCARB for webinars you can watch to set yourself up for success during the new ARE.