ARE Live: Understanding Egress Systems

It is the room directly to the left of the ‘Grain Room’ Label. It’s not being used as an exit.

Sorry you and some others found that confusing! I would say that you’re going to encounter all sorts of drawing conventions on the ARE (take a look at the NCARB practice exams, the drawings vary widely). I’d get comfortable making inferences based on what’s available - for this drawing, the label was right next to the room in question and there’s really no other room it could have been referring to. I would also say that since that room had no label inside of it, it’s fair to infer that the nearest label is what corresponds to that room.

That was used to determine the occupant load of the space.

Egress width does not relate to door thickness - door thickness (and material) relates to the fire rating of the door itself.

There was no mock exam associated with this episode - trying out a slightly different format this month!

Thank you.

1. This is for stairs plus hallways and doors?
  2. What if you have more egress doors than required?

Yes, 1005.5 applies to all means of egress components. If you have more than the two required exits in my previous example, two would need to be 40" and the additional doors could be smaller. 1005.5 specifically says that the loss of any one exit (or access to an exit, in this case) shall not reduce the capacity by more than half.
This section is accounting for a situation where a fire could break out at/near a specific exit, which means everyone would need to use the other available exit(s). It’s less likely in an emergency that multiple exits would be blocked by the fire (since they need to be dispersed about the space).

Except…It was never used by the instructor. We looked at 1004.5 to find occupant load of the space = Accessory Storage, Mechanical Equipment Room, which doesn’t relate to F-2 and when the instructor was figuring out how many exits were required and maximum travel distance, he only mentioned A-2 and S-2.

hi, i registered before the workshop start but haven’t received a link to watch the recording. can you post a link to it? thank you