ARE Live: Construction & Evaluation Mock Exam '22

We’re back with another Construction and Evaluation (CE) Mock Exam on Thursday, February 17! Don’t miss this episode of ARE Live hosted by our CE Video Lecturer April Drake, where we’ll review some of the most important concepts of this division as we work through a few practice exam questions.

We’ll cover Construction & Evaluation knowledge and skills related to bidding and negotiation processes, support of the construction process, and evaluation of completed projects. Be sure to complete the mock exam before we go live so you can check your answers in real-time with April!

Post any questions in the comments below to have them answered during our live broadcast!

Register here!

See you Thursday, February 17 at noon Central!

1 Like

Will we be asked for example, to review a detail for proper flashing, fireproofing, air barrier, etc? The sample questions had us respond to the details with extraneous questions, but will we actually have to review details and say what should be done differently to make this detail to code, etc? If so what kinds of questions will be asked, and what is the best way to study for those questions since they are not really discussed in the AHPP etc.

1 Like

What is an example of MasterFormat questions that could come up? One sample question referred to which sub. contractor submitted this shop drawing. Is it beneficial to memorize where in the specs each trade will be referenced? Or the order of the spec divisions? Or is just a general knowledge of how it is laid out sufficient?

1 Like

@coachdarionziegler - Kaitlin has some great questions for you!

1 Like

Hi everyone, welcome to the ARE Community! Leave a question below (or just say hi!) for the chance to win a free Black Spectacles t-shirt.

1 Like

Hello. I hope your day is going well.

1 Like

Hi @kaitlin ,

Great question! It’s important to know some of the common divisions. For example, you might be asked what division metal studs are - non load bearing studs are Division 9 (finishes), but structural studs are Division 5 (metals). I’ve linked to a good conversation about that topic below: Metal Studs - Division 05 vs 09

You don’t need to memorize all of them, but in general I think Divisions 1-12 are fair game. Here’s a handy list of the Divisions: MasterFormat Specification Divisions (CURRENT) - archtoolbox.com

It’s also very important to know the architect’s role during Construction and appropriate processes. For information on this, I recommend taking a look through the Architect’s Handbook of Professional Practice.

Hope this helps!
-Darion

2 Likes

Hi @kaitlin ,

It’s very likely that you will have a hot spot question related to flashing, fireproofing, and/or air and weather barriers.

You should be comfortable reviewing standard flashing details for example, and be able to point to the area on a wall section where flashing might be required. The Black Spectacle’s lectures are great at giving a general overview of wall sections - I recommend sketching along with Mike Newman! That’s what I did when I was testing.

I also revisited my copy of the “Building Construction Illustrated” by Ching. And last, but not least, this would be a great opportunity to ask your work if they have any standard details you can review.

Hope this helps!
-Darion

Thank you!

Hello! I’d like to review some “what if” scenarios when it comes to liability. Example, if materials that was installed on site, is vandalized what type of resolution could be taken? Would the GC be asked to pay for that, if already installed?

1 Like

Hello everyone! excited for this mock-up !

BTW this is also my T-Shirt Submittal lol yay! XLT plz.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

1 Like

Hello Everyone,

Glad to get to finally attend my first live Mock Exam! I’m taking this exam on Monday.

Good Luck Everyone!

2 Likes

Hi @jrodriguez1 ,

Welcome to the Community! Thanks for posting.

In the case of the scenario you’ve typed above, it’s likely that they would run the cost of the replaced materials either through the contractor or owner’s insurance if the vandalized item was very high cost. The specifics of how the situation would play out depend on the cost of the materials and what led to them being vandalized. If the cost to remedy the situation was moderate or low cost, likely the contractor will submit a change order for the amount and the owner will pay for it.

Then again, if the contractor did not secure the site, which resulted in the vandalism, they are likely at fault and will be responsible for the cost of repair/replace the vandalized material.

You might find this article from AIAcontracts.org (and the links within it) helpful:
https://www.aiacontracts.org/articles/6231476-construction-contracts-the-first-line-of-risk-management

The AHPP is also a great resource for learning about and understanding liability during construction.

Hope this helps!
-Darion

Good luck on your exam @lauraharp3r !

What is the definition and/ or pertinent parameters for Substantial Completion?

1 Like

Thanks for joining us today @peter.sushch !

You can find this definition (and other information about substantial completion) in the A201 in article 9. See below exert.

You can always preview sample contracts for free on aiacontracts.org.
The web address for A201 is linked below for your reference.
https://help.aiacontracts.org/public/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Preview_A201-2017.pdf#_ga=2.250148686.915258824.1645121537-605697607.1645121537

Hope this helps!
-Darion

1 Like

Great - thanks!

Can you please elaborate on what the Substantial Completion exception is? Would the contract documents be modified at all? Is it treated as a minor change in the work?

2 Likes

These questions were good, the first couple questions got me tripped up on the wordings! So glad we can walk through them

2 Likes

Do you have questions about construction details? I personally really like “Building Construction Illustrated” by Ching.

I also sometimes visit the website below:

It has some handy details and information on common construction details like flashing, rain screens, and even parapet wall conditions similar to what we looked at on the previous question!

1 Like