C&E Clarification Regarding Days

Would anyone could clarify regarding days; calendar days, business/work days and other type of days need to know for exam? For example, the question in the practice exam; The architect is working on a project that is in the bidding and negotiation phase. The bid is set for Friday. What is the last day addenda may be issued? The answer is Monday which is no later than 4 days prior to the date of receipt of bid. If bid is set for Thursday, the 4 days prior to the date of receipt of bid falls Sunday. Is this case the answer will be Friday or Sunday which is no working day for most of the US company? How about if falls in the national holidays which will be more confusing without calendar? Sorry for simple basic knowledge for many, but so many information to study, start confusing some basic items.

Hi @smoriny ,

No worries! We are here to learn.

Work or business days are Monday through Friday. Calendar days are any day of the week, including Saturday and Sunday.

I wouldn’t worry about holidays - I don’t expect a question will ever get that specific and the US is so big a lot of them are regional or not counted as automatic days off uniformly. If by the off chance a question goes out of it’s way to mention there is a Holiday in the schedule then I would assume it is not a business day.

In your example if the bid receipt was scheduled for Thursday you would need to issue the addendum by Friday, which is 4 business days prior. Sundays and Saturdays are not counted as work or business days and are not included in the 40 hour work week.

Hope this helps!
-Darion

Thank you.

One more clarification regards to days. For example, if the code requires must be actioned within 30 days, and 30th days falls on Saturday or Sunday, the due day will be Friday which is less than 30 days or Monday which is over 30 days? Either way seems like calendar days and work days are mixed use only start and end days use the working day but not between.

1 Like

Hi @smoriny ,

If you see a literal number of days (like 30 or 10) then assume you are using calendar days. So, in your example above, Saturday is literally the contractural deadline. But, assuming you’re not working, you should have it done by Friday. It will be overdue if you wait until Monday.

I’d try not to think about ‘days’ as rounding. If you encounter a question about days I would first try to find that information directly in the A101, A201, or B101 while you’re studying to help you understand.

For example, check out section 8.1.4 from the A201 under Article 8 - “Time”. It clarifies directly that unless noted otherwise ‘days’ refers to calendar days.
content.aia.org/sites/default/files/2017-04/A201_2017 sample %28002%29.pdf

Hope this helps!
-Darion

Thank you Darion. First a few exams, I have not much issue regarding the days, but after more information preparing for next exams little concern things simple at beginning. I might need to think little or keep items simple and straight way. Thank you again your help.

1 Like