IBC Technical Info Required to be Memorized

@coachdarionziegler Is it practical to expect NCARB to test us on the contents of specific IBC technical information without providing this information in the reference documents? What study strategies/test-taking tactics does Black Spectacles suggest? Is there a list provided of the technical IBC information that should be committed to memory without reference?

I’m referring to multiple choice questions requiring verbatim recall of (examples below):

• IBC Table 1004.5
  • IBC 2018 Section 505.2.1, the maximum area of a mezzanine is 1/3 of the size of the room in which it is located - and associated calculation questions without this citation available.
  • IBC 1107.6.2.2.1, 2% of the units shall be Type A - and associated calculation questions without this citation available.
  • IBC Table 504.4, the maximum allowed number of stories for an R-2 occupancy of Type VA construction, with a sprinkler system or 13R sprinkler system is 4 stories.
1 Like

Hi @christia.willis thanks for writing in!
I’d say that certain concepts in the code should be committed to memory - mezzanine area at 1/3 of the space below is a classic example, and I’m sure now that you’ve run into it you’ll never forget it! 2% of units as type A units is another example of a code concept that’s typical to be committed to memory.
Using Table 504.4 without it being available is unlikely, and that’s the case with most tables. Regarding table 1004.5, I doubt you’d see a question asking you to memorize the occupant load for a particular type of space, but you could see a question that may ask which of the following has the lowest occupant load factor, for example. That type of question requires understanding of the logic of the table, without memorization.
My best study tip for this is to keep working through practice exams and case studies - it’s a practice makes perfect type of a scenario.

1 Like

Thank you @coachchrishopstock. Has Black Spectacles considered providing a list of IBC ‘rules of thumb’ so that we can better decipher what NCARB expects us to have committed to memory?