Is architect owner’s agent during construction?

Is architect owner’s agent during construction?

@cat.heard9 Do you mind jumping on this question?!

Hey @hliu18, can you expand on your question? The short answer is not usually, though it depends on the contract and scope of services. Generally, the owner hires an agent to serve as their rep on the site, though the architect is responsible for ensuring the work aligns with the contract documents. Sometimes the architect isn’t hired through construction, sometimes the owner hires a construction manager, etc. Is there a specific scenario you had in mind?

1 Like

Thank you, and I am talking in design-bid-build delivery method. The reason I am asking is because some of the ARE prep material saying “ In design-bid-build, architect represents owner during the construction” which sounds very similar with the relationship between owner and agent.

Hey @hliu18, that’s correct. On smaller projects in particular the architect may act as the owner’s representative during construction, if a construction manager isn’t part of the design team. When the architect is reviewing work, they do so to ensure compliance with contract documents which have been approved by the owner, so in that sense they’re always a ‘representative’ for the owner.

1 Like

Based on what you mentioned, under DBB delivery method, architect represents the owner and acts as his/her agent during construction. Is that correct?

Haifeng

Yes, that’s correct. @heatherrivera, can you weigh in here? I’d like a second opinion on this.

1 Like

@hliu18 Yes, you are both correct. You can read up in more detail in Architect’s Handbook of Professional Practice, 15th edition, p. 510.

5 Likes

Splendid!

Hi heatherrivera,

Based on what I read in AHPP Page510.

Not just construction admin phase, actually during all phases architect acts as owner’s agent under DBB delivery method. Is that correct?

Best,

Haifeng

1 Like

Hi @hliu18 ! Make sure you tag the expert in your post to avoid any delays :slightly_smiling_face: @heatherrivera do you mind answering this question?

Yes, you got it!

@heatherrivera Thank you!

ahpp p 1074,“Under a typical owner-architect agreement, the architect serves as an independent
contractor, is not the owner’s agent*(except in a limited way, as set forth in the agreement),
and does not owe a fi duciary duty to the owner”
why architect act as agent but not an agent in agreement ?@heatherrivera