LEED Checklist

Hello! I am looking for some clarification about the LEED Checklist, which was provided as a resource in a case study for Practice Exam #2.

I noticed that “Outdoor Water Use Reduction” is both a prerequisite and a credit item. Is this a unique line item where to qualify the project must reach a certain threshold of reduction, but if it surpasses this threshold the project can achieve additional points? Are there other special items on the checklist, or what might be a resource we could use to learn more?

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @sillscai ,

This is a credit that must be met to achieve LEED v4. You cannot meet LEED without providing outdoor water use reduction.

You can download the LEED v4 checklist for commercial products at the link below:

And then you can always read about USBGC’s intent with points on their website. You can read more about the requirements to achieve the “outdoor water use reduction” point at the link below:

Here’s a link to the ‘credit library’ where they list all credits and you can filter through them and click on them to learn more:

Hope this helps!
-Darion

Thanks, Darion! I like the credit library link you sent, it’s a great tool and resource to learn more.

To summarize my understanding from exploring the website (for myself but also for anyone reading along): For Water Use Reduction, both indoor and outdoor, it is as I suspected. As a prerequisite, a certain reduction is necessary; if a greater reduction is achieved, points are awarded.

This doesn’t seem too different from other prerequisites. For example, “Minimum Energy Performance” is a prerequisite, but “Optimize Energy Performance” is a credit item, and they relate to each other similarly. Or, “Fundamental Commissioning and Verification” and “Enhanced Commissioning.” There are some prerequisites which are more of a checkbox, like “Storage and Collection of Recyclables,” you either recycle or you don’t (and you don’t get LEED Certified), but the performance related prerequisites are structured this way.

Thanks again for this resource!

1 Like

Hi @sillscai ,

In a way, yes. A certain requirement must be met and performance beyond those requirements has the potential to earn points. However, I want to point at that they are technically separate items. See below snippet from the credit library site listing the two different items for “Outdoor Water Use Reduction” as an example. If you were to click these links you would see that each item has different parameters to be met.

Prerequisites do not earn points. See below statement on USGBC’s website:

This page might also be helpful: LEED credits, prerequisites and points: How are they different? | U.S. Green Building Council

So, when we look at the checklist we see that there are two categories called “Outdoor Water Use Reduction”. The first one must be met because it is a prerequisite. It does not earn any points. The second one is a credit and if met will earn points.

Hope this helps!
-Darion