Live Q&ARE w/ NCARB

We know many of you will be first time visitors to our ARE Community - welcome! We invite you to check out our community guidelines here (FAQ/Guidelines) to make sure we keep everything above board.

1 Like

Hello;

I’m testing in South Florida and all of the Prometric centers are operating at full capacity. This makes me very nervous and unsafe, on top of all anxiety from the test.
When are the remote tests going to be ready?

3 Likes

How should I pose this questions. In your experience, with higher level policy makers in the industry of architecture and construction, how likely do you think NCARB and the industry would adopt the metric scale system? Do you see this at all happen in the lifetime of our generation? Some of my head aches in taking these exams are having a lot of experience and education in Europe and wrapping my head around yards, feet and inches.

3 Likes

NCARB continues to pursue development and implementation of an online (or
remote) proctored option for the ARE. The content of the ARE and the division
structure will not change. While NCARB initially anticipated launching this option in
early-2021, recent progress will allow for an earlier-than-anticipated launch of
remote proctoring in late-2020. Be on the lookout for an announcement with
additional details on online proctored delivery in the weeks ahead.
For additional support, please contact us online or at 202-879-0520. We appreciate
your patience.

2 Likes

Hi! Yes - once the remote proctoring is live, you will be able to test internationally as long as you have an appropriate and acceptable ‘testing location.’

3 Likes

While NCARB initially anticipated launching this option in
early-2021, recent progress will allow for an earlier-than-anticipated launch of
remote proctoring in late-2020. Be on the lookout for an announcement with
additional details on online proctored delivery in the weeks ahead.

2 Likes

Hi - Please contact our Customer Relations department directly. They will be able to view your NCARB Record and discuss your path. customerservice@ncarb.org

2 Likes

Candidates will take the exam using a traditional test driver that allows them to view the questions, monitor the amount of time they have remaining, and access approved resources such as a calculator. The candidate will be monitored by video and audio the entire time they are testing. Candidates do not see the online proctor and will view the exam just as they do today. In a typical administration, the candidate will not engage with the online proctor once the exam begins. Like testing on-site, the candidate will focus on the content on the screen in hopes of passing the division—the proctor works in the background in real time monitoring the candidate for any behavior outside the norm using both computer technology and physical observation. If the online proctor needs to address a candidate issue, the exam is paused by the proctor and the candidate is contacted by the proctor through the online application.

1 Like

On my PjM exam I also received a question that was more appropriate for PDD. Was this a red herring? I read in the NCARB community feed that there are likely test questions that actually have no bearing to the final score and are simply meant as test-questions for NCARB. Can we get confirmation?

1 Like

While NCARB initially anticipated launching this option in early-2021, recent progress will allow for an earlier-than-anticipated launch of remote proctoring in late-2020. Be on the lookout for an announcement with additional details on online proctored delivery in the weeks ahead.

1 Like

Are Prometric Centers exams will still be an option?

1 Like

Hi - We have a lot of information on our plans - still developing plans - on remote testing. Candidates wanting to take an exam using online proctoring will need to be able to provide a location and the necessary technology that meets the requirements of NCARB. By providing a private testing area with appropriate technology, the candidate will create their own virtual test center. The candidate’s testing environment will be evaluated by the online proctoring agent at the beginning of each administration and if it is found to meet the necessary security requirements, it will be designated an NCARB-approved ARE testing location/center and the test administration will proceed.

3 Likes

Hello! I don’t know if this is the right place to post this, but I contacted NCARB a week ago regarding a seat credit reimbursement after Prometric cancelled my exam. I still haven’t heard anything from NCARB. Any idea when I can get a response?
Thank you!

1 Like

Hey Bryan - will face shield be allowed in the testing centers instead of a face mask due to the problem with glasses get fogged up during the test process?

1 Like

Candidates can request refunds by contacting NCARB customer service and
identifying the ARE division they would like canceled. Upon verification of the refund
request, candidates should expect the refund within seven days. If you haven’t heard anything from NCARB yet, please do contact us 202-879-0520. We appreciate
your patience.

3 Likes

To your question on rescheduling fees. We have suspended rescheduling fees until further notice. While Prometric may say there’s a fee, when you go in to reschedule, the fee will be $0.00. We will continue to monitor all situations, and will give you all no less than 30 days notice that fees will return.

1 Like

In any issues with testing performance at any test center, it is always best to notify the test proctor at the testing center. If it hinders your ability to complete or drastically affect your testing experience, contact NCARB customer service at 202-879-0520 as well and they can inform you of your options if any.

NCARB receives a list of test centers that have had issues on a regular basis. And from my understanding there has been no major issues in Houston. If you and your coworkers have had issues, hopefully you have contacted our customer service.

The most common issues that centers have is intermittent internet connection which can create a delay in loading content, crash the software, or create error pages. The local proctor know how to deal with these issues if they arise.

As for additional centers, Prometric determines how many centers they need in an area based on customers. Hopefully with remote proctoring this will open more opportunities for you to test.

2 Likes

when the remote exam finally launch, how would that actually work? also will that replace the ARE testing in prometric or both options will be available for candidates?

1 Like

Please see respone to speters above.

2 Likes

Hi there! You may review Prometric’s Test Center Policies at the following link: https://www.prometric.com/covid-19-update/test-center-policies. Based on the information provided, face or medical masks are required. I would recommend calling Prometric to verify, however, based on this information, a shield alone may not be acceptable.

1 Like