Parking in B.C. / Zoning Question

Hi! A question came up and I really disagree with the answer. The question says you are tasked with an internal QA and asks what items should be reviewed for compliance with Building Code. Although I understand the general intent of the question, the answers are not accurate.

Chapter 11 of Accessibility in IBC specifically addresses the # of accessible parking spaces. Although Zoning / Local Ordinances is where you would check for # of spaces and any more stringent regulations, IBC provides the minimum…

Here is the question for context! Thanks!

An architect has been tasked with reviewing a set of drawings for an internal quality assurance check.

When looking over the drawings, which of the following needs to be reviewed against the building codes? Check the four that apply.

Parking
Incorrect. Parking is regulated by the zoning ordinance, not building codes.

Ventilation
Correct. The minimum amount of ventilation and fresh air would be dictated by the building code.

Ceiling heights
Correct. Minimum ceiling heights for occupiable spaces are mandated by building codes.

Number of plumbing fixtures
Correct. The minimum number of plumbing fixtures would be based on the building type and occupant loads.

Finishes
Correct. Finishes are regulated by building codes because of hygiene and fire concerns.

Aesthetics
Incorrect. Aesthetics are not part of building codes, although most AHJs regulate this in the form of zoning ordinances.

Hello @eyan50495 -

Thank you for clearing posting the question and the answers, it is very helpful when reviewing. This is a great example of a tricky question on the ARE. My suggestion is that you take a look at the answers, you can quickly eliminate Aesthetics since that is nowhere within the IBC and frankly the ARE is not interested in testing you on your ability to design an aesthetically pleasing building.

That leaves us with the following (of which you must pick 4);

• Parking
  • Ventilation
  • Ceiling Heights
  • Number of Plumbing Fixtures
  • Finishes

I would suggest at this point re-reading the question to find any “buzz words” that may show you what the answer should be. The questions says;’

An architect has been tasked with reviewing a set of drawings for an internal quality assurance check.

When looking over the drawings, which of the following needs to be reviewed against the building codes? Check the four that apply.

Since parking needs additional oversight by local zoning code, and ordinances it seems to be the odd factor out in this list. Therefore utilizing your powers of deduction you can zoom out and for the sake of the question determine that parking is a less desirable answer.

I agree that it is tricky when dealing with these type of questions. However if you keep working through the practice exams you will get used to the rhythm of them and be able to spot them quickly.

-Elise