Question from NCARB practice exam

Why would A, not be an answer? The arch can be a consultant to the contractor in design build, but vise versa isn’t possible? Thanks!
11.)
A school board issues an RFP for a new elementary school. CBA Architects has
significant experience in designing elementary schools and is eager to respond to the RFP. They contact Building General Contractors (BGC), who has built
several schools for CBA’s clients. CBA is organized as a professional corporation
and BGC is organized as an S corporation. The RFP contains the following
information:
The proposal should be design-build.
The construction budget will be $20 million.
The responding entity should include a complete bond and compliance
with prevailing wage regulations.
The response is due in three weeks along with a complete fee.
Which of the following arrangements should CBA and BGC consider for their
response to the RFP? Check the three that apply.
A. CBA submits an RFP response and fee and lists BGC as the consulting
contractor.
B. CBA and BGC form a new LLC and then submit an RFP response and fee.
C. CBA and BGC form a new C corporation and then submit an RFP response
and fee.
D. CBA and BGC form a joint-venture partnership and then submit an RFP
response and fee.
E. BGC submits an RFP response and fee and includes CBA as the consulting
architect.
F. BGC submits an RFP response and fee and CBA submits a separate
response and fee for architectural services.
Correct answer: BDE
CORRECT RESPONSES
CBA and BGC form a new LLC and then submit an RFP response and fee.
An LLC can be used to provide design-build services and can be easily formed.
CBA and BGC form a joint-venture partnership and then submit an RFP response and
fee.
The partnership form can be used to provide design-build services and can be easily formed.
BGC submits an RFP response and fee and includes CBA as the consulting architect.
This arrangement represents a standard contractor-led design-build.
Section: Practice Methodologies (17-23%)

I thought the same thing. You are not wrong, but I think A is wrong in this scenario because the question is assuming a standard DB where the GC takes the lead. If it was vise versa, then I think they would have mentioned it in the question somewhere.

It was a little hard to wrap my head around at first, but try and take any assumptions out from your thinking. The questions arent trying to trick you, so take the info they give you as is. Hope that makes sense.

1 Like

I think the key phrase that makes A incorrect is ‘consulting contractor’. Contractors are never consultants to architects (at least in the world of the ARE) so the situation described is completely not typical. This type of arrangement would expose the architect to liability that’s not covered by their insurance, specifically because ‘the responding entity needs to provide a bond and compliance with prevailing wage regulations’.

1 Like

ohhh that makes a lot of sense. Thank you very much!