Architect coordinating with Owner's Consultant

Regarding the coordination of the Owner’s Consultant’s work as outlined in the AIA B101 document. Specifically, I need clarification on the differences between Article 3.1.2 and Article 4.1.1.20.

My understanding and what I encountered in one of the mock exams are as follows:
• Article 3.1.2: The architect is responsible for coordinating their work with the Owner’s Consultant that if the owner has only one consultant, the architect will incorporate the consultant’s drawings into their own as a basic service at no additional cost.
• Article 4.1.1.20: If the owner requests that the architect coordinate the work of multiple owner’s Consultants between each other, such as the coordination between the Lighting and the Acoustical drawings who are the Owner’s Consultants, this coordination is considered a supplemental service. In this instance, the owner would have to pay for the additional coordination services.

Or the difference in Article 3.1.2 is that the architect must incorporate the owner’s consultant’s designs into his drawings as part of the basic services, such as the proposed topo surface of the civil engineer who is the owner consultant, but the owner must pay for additional services to coordinate the architect’s work with the civil engineer , as stated in Article 4.1.1.20 regardless of whether the coordination is between the architect and one of the owner’s consultants, or between the owner consultants works.

Hi @elie! Thank you for your question.

Refer to these direct excerpts from the AIA B101:

§ 3.1.2 The Architect shall coordinate its services with those services provided by the Owner and the Owner’s consultants…*

§ 4.1.1.20 Architect’s coordination of the Owner’s consultants

Under § 3.1.2 (basic service), it is the architect’s duty to coordinate its own services with those provided by the owner and owner’s consultants. Using your example of a civil engineer who is the owner’s consultant, the architect is responsible for ensuring that their own drawings reflect these civil drawings (i.e. the building is positioned on site in relation to the civil engineer’s proposed grading or relocated utility lines). The architect is not obligated to coordinate the actual work of the owner and owner’s consultants.

If specifically indicated under § 4.1.1.20 (supplemental service), the architect would be responsible for coordinating the actual work of the owner’s consultants. Using your example of a lighting consultant and an acoustical consultant who are both owner’s consultants, the architect would ensure coordination between those two drawings as a supplemental service (i.e. light fixture locations do not conflict with acoustical panel locations). If this was not specified as a desired supplemental service in the B101, the architect would not be responsible for this; they would only be obligated to ensure that their own architectural drawings coordinated with these lighting and acoustical drawings.

It sounds like you already have a great understanding of this, but I hope this helps to clarify a bit!

Kiara Galicinao, AIA, NCARB
Black Spectacles

Thank you for your response. Yes, I understand the concept, but I want to double-check because it’s confusing.

1 Like