ARE Live: PPD Mock Exam '22

Got it! It makes sense to be used mainly in larger spaces! Thank you!

1 Like

Hi @AChampagne !

To echo what Coach Marissa and Coach Chris said, it doesn’t mean you can’t build an I-2 next to an I-4 but we would need to have a 2 hour fire barrier provided instead of a 1 hour fire barrier. The 1 hour fire barrier was part of the scenario stated in the question. Thanks!

-Rebecca

@paras I believe they mentioned Architect’s Studio Companion. Is that it?

2 Likes

Hi @paras !

I think Coach Chris was referencing The Architect’s Studio Companion. I personally heavily relied on this resource when studying HVAC systems. Thanks!

-Rebecca

1 Like

Yes, thanks @sabreen.masharkah !

-Rebecca

Can you clarify making reactions positive/negative? I get this part confusing.

1 Like

On the topic of the load, i’ve also found it easier to look at it as a ratio/percentage. The 600lbs is 3/4 of the way to the left, which means that 3/4 of the weight is on the left bearing point. So 150lbs remains on the right.

1 Like

One step would be to put the active loads (pointing down) and the reactive loads (pointing up) at two different sides of the equation. So: (3,200lbx8’) + (600lbx4’) = Rr x 16’

1 Like

Hi @Moshe !

Great question! R would be allowed to be adjacent to I-4, however that wasn’t an answer that was provided to us in the question. Thanks!

-Rebecca

Hi @michelle !

Thanks for your question! To echo what Coach Marissa and Coach Chris said, because the question states minimum run of dimensional lumber ramp, we do not include the bottom landing which is not a part of the dimensional lumber but part of the parking lot. Thanks!

-Rebecca

Hi @sabreen.masharkah !

Thanks for your question! To echo what Coach Marissa and Coach Chris said, because the question states minimum run of dimensional lumber ramp, we do not include the bottom landing which is not a part of the dimensional lumber but part of the parking lot. Thanks!

-Rebecca

Logically too, would you want to live below an adult care facility? If you know about sound transmissions, a 1 HR barrier is not super sound absorbing, meaning you will hear everything above. You can eliminate the fireworks storage because of programmatic logic as well. Bank, dry cleaner and pharmacy could all be uses beneficial to the above occupancies.

2 Likes

Hi @geraldalvesiii !

Thanks for your question! To echo what Coach Marissa and Coach Chris said, because the question states minimum run of dimensional lumber ramp, we do not include the bottom or top landings which are not a part of the dimensional lumber. Thanks!

-Rebecca

Hi @txeturner !

Thanks for your question! A chilled beams system is when outdoor air is conditioned at a central source and then circulated through ducts to chilled beams that are mounted in the ceilings of occupied spaces of a building. Some pros are they are the system is quiet, provides a constant airflow, and is better at controlling humidity. Some cons are they have higher installation costs and can possibly leak. I recommend looking at pages 178-179 of the Architect’s Studio Companion for more information. Thanks!

-Rebecca

Hi @ryan.lo !

It’s helpful to know where code is located but it’s true, there are certain basics that are good to have memorized. Max ADA rise and run, door clearances, reach distances, minimum hallway, stairway, door widths, etc. I recommend going to the Black Spectacles and NCARB communities to see what people used to study who were able to pass. A lot of times people will break out certain chapters in Building Codes Illustrated that are good to focus on, that way you’re not trying to memorize the entire code. Thanks!

-Rebecca

Hi @michelle !

Like Coach Chris mentioned, I heavily relied on the Architect’s Studio Companion when it came to learning about the various HVAC systems. They do a great job of explaining each system and they draw building section diagrams to help visualize how the systems work as well. Thanks!

-Rebecca

Hi @sabreen.masharkah !

Thanks for your question! Fan coil terminals actually do include fans in them that draw a mixture of room air and outdoor air though a filter, so they are introducing fresh air. See page 180 in the Architect’s Studio Companion. With a hotel, we can assume that the windows aren’t operable as is typical in most hotels in the US. Thanks!

-Rebecca

Hi @chuckw !

We assigned a negative to the reactions we were calculating because these are the loads acting on the beam from below against the applied force coming from above the beam. So in the equation we ended up having (600lbs)(4’) - (R)(16’) since the reaction R was in the opposite direction of the applied (600lbs). If the reaction was in the same direction as the 600lbs, we would have had a + rather than a -. Thanks!

-Rebecca

Thank you @coachrebeccasmith really appreciate all your answers.

1 Like