ARE Live: Setting a Studying Foundation

Could you make the case in the parapet question that it isn’t sloped back towards the roof? It appears to bow, hence why you identified the lack of blocking.

On the drag and place questions, do the elements “snap” into place, and does it matter overmuch if they are lined up exactly in the right spot?

I took and failed PPD and PDD, I took them about 2 weeks apart. On both exams I lacked a bit in the integration of the disciplines. What is the best way to study for this?

1 Like

On the parapet question, if there was more of a peak but no blocking would that still be the correct area? There seems to be a roof penetration in the back that is really close to the edge that may cause drainage issues

elements don’t snap, you have to place them as close as you can where you want.

On the first question, I am guessing we don’t have to put any cents? Since they aren’t counting the commas then periods would be the same and the answer would be wrong, right?

Hi there

I like to start with the case studies because a lot of the times there is an AIA doc attached. For PcM and PjM these AIA docs can sometimes help you answer some of the multiple choice questions. Also the search feature in the PDFs is very helpful

It’s not a trick question and I wouldn’t read too deep into any information like this and wonder if it’s a trick - our understanding is that NCARB doesn’t include ‘gotcha’ type questions and we don’t either.
Calling out “4 inch studs” is common and generally means 4" nominal, since studs don’t come in 4" actual sizes.

yes and it would be unfair if it didn’t, since there’s no information in the question to suggest what you should assume for those values. A question about fees will never require you to assume that consultants should be around 15% of the architect’s fee, for example. If that’s required to solve the problem, it will be given in the question.

1 Like

Thank you Chris!

So if the construction cost is = $300,000
The Arch fees would be 8% = $24,0000
Consultants fees (M/E/P) 15% of $24k = $3,600
Fee going to firm = $20,400

Is the 15% of Arch fee also accounting for Structural?

Thank you in advance for all your help Chris!

It’s assumed since nothing’s said otherwise - if it were a different height the roof levels wouldn’t be close to matching.

I was just using 15% as an example - but you’ve got the gist of it! The $20,400 in your example is the fee available to the architect to start determining how many hours they could spend on the project.

You won’t be marked wrong for including cents, but if they’re .00 I would just omit it.

There should be blocking under the parapet cap - without it, the thin metal parapet cap will deform under the weight of snow, for example, and not drain properly in the future.
The roof drain near the parapet is common - as long as it’s not right at the parapet and the roof is properly sloped to it, it’s OK. It’s somewhat common because there doesn’t need to be as much piping if it’s located near the exterior of the building - saving cost and potentially ceiling height.