Exit Discharge

Why Can’t the exit shown on the left be an exit discharge?

1 Like

Hi @molls808 ! I sent you an email about the exam screenshots being posted. I have sent them to our expert architect @coachlizschneider so she knows which questions you are referring to.

@coachlizschneider do you mind helping?

@molls808 Great question! If we refer to the definition of exit discharge in chapter 2 of the IBC it states that exit discharge is “That portion of a means of egress system between the termination of an exit and a public way”.
If we look at the definition of an exit, we find that an exit is “That portion of a means of egress system between the exit access and the exit discharge or public way. Exit components include exterior exit doors at the level of exit discharge, interior exit stairways and ramps, exit passageways, exterior exit stairways and ramps and horizontal exits.
We also can find the definition of public way as being “A street, alley or other parcel of land open to the outside air leading to a street, that has been deeded, dedicated or otherwise permanently appropriated to the public for public use and which has a clear width and height of not less than 10 feet”
In this case, second avenue is the public way and the door you selected falls under the definition of exit. The only portion of the drawing that is between an exit and the public way is the area highlighted, making that the exit discharge area.

2 Likes

I do understand the point the question is making. In practice, however, I see exit discharge as a term used not only in reference to a space between exit and public way, but also to the door itself, as in “an exit discharge door.”