Form 1 Q59 : Preliminary Project Schedule

The question asks how many weeks to be allocated to DD, and states “remaining design timeline will be distributed according to the following percentages per phase.” Why does it take the year into consideration rather than apply the design phase percentage directly to the remaining project schedule?

Hi @oliviaggreene !

Would you mind sending me a screenshot of the question and answer so I can give you a more thought out response? The questions are randomized on the practice exams so I’m not able to find it. Thank you!

-Rebecca

I was told screenshots are prohibited.

Hi @rsouthard - screenshots of our paid content posted to the community are prohibited, however Rebecca is asking for a screenshot of the question to be messaged to her. That’s totally OK and is very helpful in responding to questions about specific PE items.

I believe this was the question the original person was talking about.

A project manager is creating a preliminary project schedule to present to the client. The client has requested that the project be completed in 16 months. Construction is expected to take 7 months. The project manager is reserving 1 month for bidding and negotiation.

The project manager estimates that the remaining design timeline will be distributed according to the following percentages per phase:

Schematic Design - 20%
Design Development - 35%
Construction Documents - 45%
How many weeks should the project manager include for design development? Assume 52 weeks in a year. Round to the nearest whole week.

Thanks @graemesowerby!

You can do the math for this question a couple of ways, but the simplest is as follows:
16 months - 7 months CA - 1 month bidding = 8 months
8 months / 12 months = .67 year
.67 year x 52 weeks per year = 34.84 weeks for the design phase.
34.84 weeks x 35% DD = 12.194 weeks, which rounds to 12 weeks.

Note that no matter how you do the rounding (I rounded in each step above, but if you multiply by .6666667, for example, your math would be slightly different) you’ll still end up at 12 weeks after rounding in the final step.