Mock Exam Question about accessible entrance

The owner of a sandwich shop wishes to open a new location on an empty site near a shopping center. There are three entrances to the building, one that faces the shopping center to the north, one that faces a public parking area to the south, and a service entrance to the west that leads to the dumpsters and walk-in cooler.

Which of the entrances is required to be accessible?

Just the south entrance

Incorrect. 60% of the entrances must be accessible. Therefore, both the north and south entrances must be accessible.

Both the north and south entrances

Incorrect. The 60% requirement is a minimum that is over ridden since the service door serves to a specific space it would also need to be accessible.

Just the north entrance

Incorrect. 60% of the entrances must be accessible. Therefore, both the north and south entrances must be accessible.

All of the entrances must be accessible.

Correct. Since the service door serves a specific space it would also need to be accessible in addition to the other two doors.

About 10 days ago, i took the exam and the answer was “Both the north and south entrances.” Can someone clarify for me?

1 Like

Hi @hanpingsh ! Lets see if @coachlizschneider can clarify this question for you

@hanpingsh
I’m not sure why the answer changed. I believe the answer is “both the north and south entrances”.
IBC Section 1105.1 states that “at least 60 percent of all public entrances shall be accessible.”
Exception 2 excludes “Loading and service entrances that are not the only entrance to a tenant space”
IBC Section 1105.1.5 Services entrances further states “If a service entrance is the only entrance to a building or a tenant space in a facility, that entrance shall be accessible.”

Given all of that since the service entrance is not the only entrance into the building and that service entrances are otherwise excluded from being accessible , that entrance does not need to be accessible. The other two entrances would need to be accessible to satisfy the 60% requirement.

1 Like

In order for the answer to be All Three, the service entrance would have to be the only means of entering that particular space. Right?

correct - if the service door has a different function than the other doors, it must also be accessible.