Form 1 practice exam question 79

The question reads: “There are three entrances to the building: one that faces the shopping center to the north, one that faces a public parking area to the south, and a service entrance to the west that leads to the dumpsters and walk-in cooler.” and the correct answer is indicated as: “All of the entrances must be accessible”.

The ADA reads: “At least 60% of public entrances must be accessible in new construction, in addition to entrances directly serving tenancies, parking facilities, pedestrian tunnels and elevated walkways. “Public entrances” include all entrances except those that are restricted or that are used exclusively as service entrances.”

Shouldn’t the correct answer be: only 2, one that faces the shopping center to the north, one that faces a public parking area to the south?

@jplecha-

Perhaps our in house architect @coachchrishopstock can best answer this.

Elise

@jplecha since there are only 2 public entrances (the service entrance isn’t public) and 60% of the public entrances need to be accessible, both of those need to be accessible.
Separately, the service entrance also needs to be accessible, which means that all 3 must be accessible.

I understand why the 2 public entries (north and south) need to be accessible but I am still confused as to why the service entrance (west) needs to be accessible when the ADA reads:
“Public entrances” include all entrances except those that are restricted or that are used exclusively as service entrances.

Isn’t this saying the service entry is not public and therefore doesn’t need to be accessible? According to ADA section 206.4.8 a service entry is only required to be accessible if it is the only entry.

See IBC 1104.3.1 - employee work areas need to have an accessible route.
In general, if a door or path serves a specific purpose, it needs to be served by an accessible route (and have an accessible entrance). The service entrance described in this question serves a specific purpose - it allows employees to go in and out without traversing the tenant areas. Think about it this way - if an employee who is disabled worked at the proposed store here, they wouldn’t have equal access to perform their work if that service entrance wasn’t accessible.

OK, I suppose the question is poorly worded then as the ADA clearly states that a service entrance is not required to be accessible. Thanks for your help.

Hi, I just wanted to let you all know I am struggling with the same issue on this question. I know any and all entrances should be accessible, however, ADA guidelines clearly state that if there are multiple accessible entrances, then a service entrance is not required. The wording “Must” seems to be a conflict. The question doesnt eally decipher the public vs Employees. While I understand that a “Service Entrance” is for employees, the question doesnt indicate anything about the other 2 entrances being specific to Public and not accessible to employees. I have read the explanations for the question and understand the assumption that is made. I think the terminology “Must” is what is throwing us off when other questions flag the term “Must” and “Required” as a key to the answer.

We must choose most restrictive scenario in our designs. We must follow IBC ( employee accessibility required) AND follow ADA ( not a code but Federal Law) .
Putting the two together we must have 3 accessible entrances.