Target location question

The following question on one of the practice exam seems flawed:

The architect has identified that there will need to be one mailbox for every 10 units. To program the height of the mail kiosk, the architect needs to determine the reach range for each mailbox.

Which of the following code provisions establishes the minimum allowable reach height for the bottom of the mailboxes? Using the image below, click the appropriate dimension.

There are two locations to click upon, either in the text of the code which reads ā€œthe low target reach shall be 15 inches min. above the floorā€ or on the 15" min dimension string on the diagram. The practice exam only states the 15" dimension string is the correct answer. Why is the text not correct as well.

1 Like

Hi @nicholas_sieger & welome to the ARE Community! @coachdarionziegler do you mind helping Nicholas with this question?!

Hi @nicholas_sieger ,

Do you know what form you encountered this question on? Iā€™d like to take a look at it.

Iā€™m thinking this question is saying only the dimension string is correct because the prompt says, ā€œclick the appropriate dimensionā€. The question was wanting you do only click the dimension itself, not the text describing the dimension.

However, I do want to double check the question if you can please direct me to correct form!

Thanks,
Darion

@coachdarionziegler The question was on Form 2.

Hi @nicholas_sieger ,

Thanks for your patience! The question was trying to prompt you to choose the dimension stringā€¦ However, I can understand how that could be ambiguous. Iā€™m going to bring this question to the attention of the QC team so they can evaluate it. I think this question might be more effective with only the diagrams and no text.

Thanks for pointing this question out!
-Darion

Hi Darion,

This question is still on Practice Exam #2, and has been updated - however, now, only the text is the correct answer and the question is still phrased ā€œclick the appropriate dimension.ā€ Only bringing up to note if this was the intentionā€¦ I havenā€™t run into another Black Spectacles Target Location question so specific that we have to question whether the text or the string is correct. Iā€™ve always assumed on the ARE the target locations would incorporate all facets of the correct answer, similar to how Numerical Inputs incorporate rounding leeway, as not to provide undue stress /stick to testing if you understand the material. If this isnā€™t the case, what should we assume would be the best approach to these questions? Selecting the location/string/material in question or the text calling it out?

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @sillscai ,

Thanks for following up on this! If you encounter a question that does specify selecting the ā€œdimensionā€ I would aim for the text itself, and not the material or the larger extensions of the dimensions string. I assume if you clicked the string directly below the text it would likely still flag as correct, but you never know!

@coachchrishopstock can you please provide any additional insight or guidance on this?

Thanks!
-Darion

Thanks for the tip, Darion! I typically do click on the text myself, but the question and discussion here got me thinking there might be other strategies or concerns.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hello all!
I reviewed this question and believe itā€™s in line with how NCARB treats their hotspot questions, which is our goal. The question says ā€˜click on the dimensionā€™ not ā€˜click on the dimension stringā€™ or something similar. If asked to click on a dimension, Iā€™d always click the actual text of the dimension and not think twice about it.

NCARB has also responded to this type of question on their community, see below:
https://are5community.ncarb.org/hc/en-us/community/posts/1500001136221-Where-to-click-on-a-hotspot-question

I hope this provides some clarity on the topic. The key takeaway is to read the instructions carefully, and click on exactly what the question asks you to click on.

1 Like

Thanks to both for reviewing and adjusting this question as it has come up for us, and providing the helpful NCARB link!

1 Like